Places of Interest Travel UK Wardrobe Inspiration

Lovely Laura

30th August 2013

LAURA ASHLEY

Many of us have memories of Laura Ashley and for me, it’s visiting the Brighton branch during the school holidays with my mum and sister. My sister and I would hide from one another under the long dresses and skirts while my Mum tried in vain to shop. There was often the promise of a new toy if we behaved long enough to allow her to buy something.

This year marks the 60th Anniversary of the founding of the Laura Ashley label and lots of exciting things have and are taking place to celebrate. Earlier this month I was invited to visit the Laura Ashley archive in London where I was treated to a fascinating tour by the archivist Angela Jeffery. It was a real honour to be there and surrounded by so much fashion history.

Following this, I headed to Bath and the Laura Ashley exhibition. It was magical and fun to hear so many visitors gasp as they walked into the room. I was amazed at how beautiful the dresses were, so many lovely cuts, fabrics and details.

And finally, at the end of July, I attended the opening of the first Laura Ashley Hotel. The hotel was stunning and decorated entirely in – yes you’ve guessed it – Laura Ashley. Anyway, here are a few shots from my adventures I would love to hear your Laura Ashley stories.

Laura Ashley

You can catch Laura Ashley: The Romantic Heroine when it moves to The Bowes Museum, Barnard Castle, County Durham next month. To see more photographs of the Laura Ashley Hotel please visit the gorgeous Laura Ashley blog.

• Reply ZoΓ« Power 30th August 2013 at 5:10 pm

OMG I love everything! Such beautiful pics – I can't get over how gorgeous those dresses are – how on earth did you pick out a favourite?! πŸ™‚ And the room is stunning too. And the hotel! I really must get myself to the exhibition….

• Reply hellorach 30th August 2013 at 6:09 pm

How exciting! I'd love to stay in the hotel one day. My wedding dress was a Β£70 dress from Laura Ashkey in Reading!

• Reply Candy Pop 30th August 2013 at 9:26 pm

How amazing. I would love to see it!

• Reply hellorach 2nd September 2013 at 4:07 pm

So would I….unfortunately my marriage held so many bad memories for me it has gone along with a lot of other stuff I wish I'd hung on to in hindsight, including most of my photographs with him in!

• Reply Vintage Sheet Addict 30th August 2013 at 8:11 pm

I'd love to visit the exhibition! Love Vintage LA! πŸ™‚ x

• Reply Kylie 31st August 2013 at 1:34 am

I would love to see this exhibition.
    My friends and I wore ALOT of Laura Ashley in the late 80's/early 90's (yes, here in Australia). In fact, I think I had that ditsy blue floral number in the third pic, or a very similar frock anyway…x

• Reply Candy Pop 31st August 2013 at 6:28 pm

What a shame you no longer have it!

• Reply KatGotTheCream 31st August 2013 at 1:07 pm

Oh wow, a tour de force of Laura. I would've love it! Was just about to bemoan the fact that Bath is so far away when i read that the exhibition is coming up north. That might just have to be done! Thanks.

• Reply Candy Pop 31st August 2013 at 6:29 pm

You must visit the exhibition, you won't be disappointed!

• Reply eskimo*rose 31st August 2013 at 4:07 pm

OMG, that brings back some memories!
    Em x

• Reply Victoria Eales 1st September 2013 at 9:08 pm

Looks absolutely gorgeous!

Victoria

• Reply found and sewn 4th September 2013 at 12:43 pm

Amazing photos! Looks like a wonderful exhibition and I would love to stay at the Laura Ashley hotel.

• Reply CraveCute 4th September 2013 at 6:11 pm

Your pics are gorgeous and amazing eye candy! What a fantastic hotel this must be, I would love to see more. Just checked out your twitter pics and more gorgeous pics!! And that rascally Gromit! Love him! Have a splendid week!

• Reply Anastasia from Natbeesfashion 5th September 2013 at 6:33 pm

Fabulous photography! I love Laura Ashley's collection and looking through the vintage dresses, I am so craving one of these. Lovely prints and shapes πŸ™‚
    xx

• Reply Candy Pop 5th September 2013 at 6:34 pm

Thank you all for your kind comments!