Interiors My Home Simple Living

11th May 2014

Decluttering My Home | candypop.uk.com
Decluttering My Home | candypop.uk.com
Decluttering My Home | candypop.uk.com
Decluttering My Home | candypop.uk.com

‘Buy less, choose well’  Vivienne Westwood

When I’m on holiday I love the feeling of living with only essential items and my favourite clothes and accessories. I’ve often wondered if decluttering my home would give me the same feelings of calmness and peace. Like being on holiday all year round!

When I moved into my apartment in 2011 I started letting go of the clutter. Then at the beginning in 2014 I drastically reduced my belongings to embrace a slightly more minimalist lifestyle. A notion of cutting out the distractions and replacing them with time, space and room for thinking and creativity. I also stopped buying knick-knacks, bits and bobs, trinkets etc. The things I don’t really need.

It was an extremely therapeutic process and I’ve now reached a point where I no longer want for things. I’m not sure if this is the new me but for now, I’m enjoying feeling content with what I have. For me minimalism isn’t about not buying things – life would be dull without the odd treat – it’s more about enjoying a clutter-free life and the extra time it brings. I particularly like the quote ‘if you are going to have fewer things they have to be great things’. Now, who can argue with that?

The declutter raised £109 for Helen and Douglas House, £123 for Sue Ryder and I’m waiting to hear from Cancer Research, where most of my stuff was donated. Further posts on decluttering, simple living and minimalism.

I hope you have a gorgeous day!

Decluttering My Home | candypop.uk.com
Decluttering My Home | candypop.uk.com
Decluttering My Home | candypop.uk.com
Decluttering My Home | candypop.uk.com

Follow on Bloglovin’ | Join the mailing list

• Reply http://evaetsandra.com/ 11th May 2014 at 9:27 am

I'm totally agree with Vivianne and you "less is more"! I think I have to do the same thing in my house.
    Your home looks so pretty 😉
    Have a nice sunday. xo

• Reply Ingrid Orens 11th May 2014 at 9:52 am

I'm still not ready for the "less is more" attitude… *sigh*… My obsession with collection things, always gets in the way.. Can be difficult at times, trying to combine a collecting-addiction with an obsession for order & tidiness…
    Btw, love your Paul Smith on the wall !!

• Reply Candy Pop 11th May 2014 at 10:00 am

Thank you. I can relate, I love collecting and I love modern minimalist interiors. It's a constant battle, but my desire to remove the clutter has won!

• Reply my little red suitcase 11th May 2014 at 12:55 pm

it looks incredibly clear! the thing I struggle most with is inherited furniture and about a small room full of photo albums. I just can't seem to make head way with those! you certainly look as though you have been having adventures, I like the idea of spending money on adventures rather than buying lots of things, or at least I do in theory! Heather x

• Reply Candy Pop 11th May 2014 at 2:32 pm

Thank you Heather, 'adventures rather than things' sounds good to me!

• Reply Patty Radish 11th May 2014 at 4:24 pm

I love how you can appreciate each lovely and unique piece in your rooms!

• Reply tinajo 11th May 2014 at 6:38 pm

Great pillows! Oh, I´m with you – I never save anything just for saving it – it has to be something special with it; something that makes me happy. Too much schtuff makes me nervous..! 😀

• Reply jessthetics 11th May 2014 at 9:57 pm

I love your beautiful house! I definitely want to reduce the amount of things I have, tripping over stuff really frustrates me. I think if you have less things it's easier to enjoy what you do have. Plus, I really do appreciate the "buy less, choose well" mantra. I like your spotty tablecloth and the gorgeous art above your table 🙂 xx

• Reply Katie 11th May 2014 at 10:23 pm

I totally love that holiday feeling too. Even the kids are happier with less. Probably because we parents don't have to spend as much time picking up after them AND us. So we are all happier and spend more time together. But I really, really struggle to keep the clutter at bay. It's hard to appreciate things when they are surrounded by stuff. It's quite nice to rotate items, but then where to store them when not in use…

• Reply Patchwork Harmony 12th May 2014 at 6:22 am

I'm still trying to do this but it's a challenge! Not cos I don't want to rid of stuff but it's the process! Which stuff do you sell, charity shop, bin etc. and then there's the boring stuff u can't get rid of like paperwork etc. so trying to find storage solutions for that…

• Reply Victoria Eales 12th May 2014 at 10:30 am

I feel the same, maybe it's an age thing… I've learned that just because I love something doesn't mean I have to own it or collect every last piece of it. I prefer to have things in my home I love and use rather than just because.

That said I'm by no means a minimalist either. It makes me laugh when I think I've had a real declutter and there isn't as much stuff around and then friends come in and they're like 'you have so much stuff'!

Victoria

• Reply Rakel 12th May 2014 at 3:17 pm

so cool!!

• Reply KatGotTheCream 12th May 2014 at 3:53 pm

I'm definitely thinking more carefully about the things I buy, especially the charity shop knick-knacks. I've also just done a wardrobe detox and ebayed a pile of clothes. I just need to start on the kids' toy mountain now! Your home lounge looks great xx

• Reply claire 12th May 2014 at 9:34 pm

I love your taste. A minimalist backdrop filled with quality splashes of colour!! Lovely.
    Claire xx | somewhere… beyond the sea

• Reply Ali 13th May 2014 at 12:31 pm

I feel exactly the same whenever I return from holiday. I find our stuff overwhelming. A few years ago, our neighbours lost their house to a fire and terrible and traumatic as it was, I couldn't help envy the instant removal of all the clutter. Isn't that terrible?

• Reply CraveCute 14th May 2014 at 7:14 pm

Your place is beautiful! I've started doing the same, only keeping the best! I keep upgrading my collections and have been selling off some of the items I think others will love. Anyway, you can always change your mind and buy more!

• Reply Lost Girl Found 14th May 2014 at 7:38 pm

I'm definitely trying to do the same although I don't want to be minimalist. I'd just like to cut it down to the stuff I use and/or enjoy.

• Reply mrsmsmeanderings 21st May 2014 at 1:31 pm

I swear decluttering is good for the soul – it always brings me a sense of satisfaction and calm, and I love that I can get that same feeling even from a tiny little decluttering project, like a single drawer. We moved to a much bigger house in January with loads of storage space, but I'm very mindful that I don't want to hoard stuff for the sake of it, and I'm trying hard to get rid of anything I no longer want or need. Great photos, by the way.

• Reply Candy Pop 21st May 2014 at 1:53 pm

Thank you for your comment, I agree with every word!

• Reply Zoë Power 22nd May 2014 at 7:29 pm

Good work on the decluttering. It's so wonderful to have space to breathe and space for things to shine. I think we're going to embark on a declutter project very soon – the more we can lose now, the less we have to pack!! It's amazing what you accumulate in 7 years….