Interiors My Home Simple Living

My Home, Lately

27th March 2015

My Home, Lately | candypop.uk.com

HOME SWEET HOME

Three and a half years ago I lived in a three-bed 1930s house with parquet floors, picture rails, fireplaces, quarry tiles, a pantry and a laundry room. I felt the house needed to be styled with vintage trinkets and so during the seven years I lived there, I filled it with items from the 1930s-1970s. I hunted for stuff in vintage shops, charity shops and online and I gradually filled every room.

My treasure hunting became a habit and long after I’d styled the property I was still buying. The problem was lots was coming in and nothing was going out, and very soon I became overwhelmed with the things I’d bought and was still buying.

Then I moved house.

My Home, Lately | candypop.uk.com
My Home, Lately | candypop.uk.com
My Home, Lately | candypop.uk.com

MODERN APARTMENT

I wanted a modern minimal look in my new apartment because I felt the spaces were too beautiful to clutter. However, discarding my vintage collections was a challenge! It took a long time to let go but with each donated or sold item I felt a little lighter.

My taste also changed as I became increasingly drawn to the contemporary interiors of Scandinavia. I loved the muted tones, natural fabrics and feelings of light and space. After many years of kitsch and colourful vintage florals, it was time for a change!

My Home, Lately | candypop.uk.com

WHITE SPACE

Three years on and here’s how it’s looking. My main objective was to create a low maintenance, relaxing and practical space. There are no distractions and very few things to clean or maintain. When I need a studio space for photography or somewhere to entertain family and friends the space adapts beautifully. It’s definitely home sweet home!

If you’re wishing to embark on a spring declutter you might like to read my decluttering tips or ten ways I simplified my life.

I hope you have a calm and clutter-free weekend!

My Home, Lately | candypop.uk.com
My Home, Lately | candypop.uk.com
My Home, Lately | candypop.uk.com
My Home, Lately | candypop.uk.com
My Home, Lately | candypop.uk.com
My Home, Lately | candypop.uk.com

Follow on Bloglovin’ | Join the mailing list

• Reply http://evaettorocoro.com/ 27th March 2015 at 11:21 am

I would like to follow your path! My house is beginning to be a little full. When I see your home, I have a feeling of calm, and peace. It's very brave what you did. Sold everything to start a new life simple and zen! Chapeau !
    Have a nice and zen weekend in your beautiful home !

• Reply Candy Pop 27th March 2015 at 11:40 am

Thank you Eva for your kind words, I hope you have a great weekend!

• Reply Rubyred 27th March 2015 at 5:41 pm

Hello lovely! What a transformation, love your new sofa, really lightens the space. It must be so easy to clean the space too with nothing to dust! Have a fab weekend! xx

• Reply Candy Pop 27th March 2015 at 7:05 pm

Thank you Rachel, I hope you're well!

• Reply Kylie 28th March 2015 at 1:17 am

Beautiful C.P.
    I'm in the process of simplifying the interior of our home too. I'm after a cleaner, more natural, modern Japanese aesthetic (! does that make sense?) Less is more and all that…
    I still like a spot of kitsch (and always will) but not as much as I used too.
    Maybe we're both growing-up? I'm 50 this year, it's about time 😉
    x

• Reply Candy Pop 28th March 2015 at 5:58 pm

Thank you Kylie and good luck with simplifying – your ideas make prefect sense to me! There are so many reasons I let go of the stuff and hitting a milestone birthday was probably one of them!

• Reply Emyii Rankin 28th March 2015 at 7:05 am

Love the simplicity =]

emyii90.blogspot.co.uk

• Reply Ingrid Orens 28th March 2015 at 9:59 am

Normally, I'm not fond of minimalism. But in your house, it just doesn't feel minimalistic. It just feels clean and pretty, with just the right things at the correct places. I love it – plus I really love that you didn't go "minimalistic modern" – it is a cool mix of vintage/new !!

• Reply Candy Pop 28th March 2015 at 5:46 pm

Thank you Ingrid. In truth I'd love a designer minimalist home, I just couldn't afford the price tag!

• Reply Heather @ my little red suitcase 28th March 2015 at 2:48 pm

It's lovely, so clear! and that chandelier….a beautiful piece. I want to believe you have a cupboard with many of your nice things tucked inside somewhere, ready to interchange. I sure you must! X

• Reply Candy Pop 28th March 2015 at 7:57 pm

Thank you Heather. You're right, I have a few plastic boxes of the best items while I decide what to do with them. There's not very much and I think a lot of it needs to go on eBay.

Have a great weekend!

• Reply Katie Bedlow 28th March 2015 at 8:44 pm

My very-english-1940s house is being brought into the 21st century over this summer, I do like a vintage look but not anything chintz anymore! I've gone for more streamlines shapes, Ercol or utility furniture, restful colours and oak. I think your home is looking beautifully fresh and full of character, it's fantastic to evolve your style and confidence! Katie x

• Reply Candy Pop 29th March 2015 at 4:59 pm

Good luck with your refurbishment, your plans sound great. It has been fun to experiment and it was definitely time for an update!

• Reply Victoria - Florence and Mary 29th March 2015 at 8:35 am

Wow so different and so calming. I still go between one and the other style these days. I love clearing out clutter but still have to have a trinket or two floating around.

Victoria xx

• Reply tinajo 29th March 2015 at 2:49 pm

It looks very fresh and cozy, I like your style and have quite a similar style as well. 🙂

• Reply Candy Pop 29th March 2015 at 5:00 pm

Thank you – you clearly have excellent taste – haha!

• Reply found and sewn 1st April 2015 at 10:50 am

Love your new look, so calm and fresh! xx

• Reply Candy Pop 3rd April 2015 at 8:42 am

Thank you Vicki, calm is the new collecting!