Interiors My Home Simple Living

My Home, Lately

27th March 2015

minimalist home

Three and a half years ago I lived in a three bedroom 1930s house with parquet floors, picture rails, fire places, quarry tiles, a pantry and a laundry room. I felt the house needed to be styled with vintage trinkets and so during the seven years I lived there I filled it with items from the 1930s-1970s. I hunted for stuff in vintage shops, charity shops and online, and I slowly filled every room. And the loft and two large sheds!

My treasure hunting became a habit and long after I’d styled the property I was still buying. The problem was lots was coming in and nothing was going out, and very soon I became overwhelmed with the things I’d bought, and was still buying.

Then I moved house.

minimalist home
minimalist home
minimalist home

I wanted a modern minimalist look in my new apartment because I felt the spaces were too beautiful to clutter, however discarding my vintage collections was a challenge to say the least. It took time to let go, but with each donated or sold item I felt a little lighter, which motivated me to continue.

My taste also changed as I became increasingly drawn to the contemporary interiors of Scandinavia. I loved the muted tones, natural fabrics and feelings of light and space. And after many years of kitsch and colourful vintage florals it was time for a change of scenery!

minimalist home

Three years on and here’s how it’s looking. My main objective was to create a low maintenance, relaxing and practical space. There are no distractions and very few things to clean or maintain, and when I need a studio space for photography or somewhere to entertain family and friends the space adapts perfectly.

minimalist home
minimalist home
minimalist home
minimalist home
minimalist home
minimalist home

If you’re wishing to embark on a spring declutter you might like to read my decluttering tips or the 10 ways I’ve simplified my life. I hope you have a lovely, calm and clutter-free weekend!

Sofa, blinds and table – John Lewis | Arc lamp – Central Living
Love needlepoint – The Rug Company | Eames chairs – Central Living, Amara and John Lewis

• Reply http://evaettorocoro.com/ 27th March 2015 at 11:21 am

I would like to follow your path! My house is beginning to be a little full. When I see your home, I have a feeling of calm, and peace. It's very brave what you did. Sold everything to start a new life simple and zen! Chapeau !
    Have a nice and zen weekend in your beautiful home !

• Reply Candy Pop 27th March 2015 at 11:40 am

Thank you Eva for your kind words, I hope you have a great weekend!

• Reply Rubyred 27th March 2015 at 5:41 pm

Hello lovely! What a transformation, love your new sofa, really lightens the space. It must be so easy to clean the space too with nothing to dust! Have a fab weekend! xx

• Reply Candy Pop 27th March 2015 at 7:05 pm

Thank you Rachel, I hope you're well!

• Reply Kylie 28th March 2015 at 1:17 am

Beautiful C.P.
    I'm in the process of simplifying the interior of our home too. I'm after a cleaner, more natural, modern Japanese aesthetic (! does that make sense?) Less is more and all that…
    I still like a spot of kitsch (and always will) but not as much as I used too.
    Maybe we're both growing-up? I'm 50 this year, it's about time 😉
    x

• Reply Candy Pop 28th March 2015 at 5:58 pm

Thank you Kylie and good luck with simplifying – your ideas make prefect sense to me! There are so many reasons I let go of the stuff and hitting a milestone birthday was probably one of them!

• Reply Emyii Rankin 28th March 2015 at 7:05 am

Love the simplicity =]

emyii90.blogspot.co.uk

• Reply Ingrid Orens 28th March 2015 at 9:59 am

Normally, I'm not fond of minimalism. But in your house, it just doesn't feel minimalistic. It just feels clean and pretty, with just the right things at the correct places. I love it – plus I really love that you didn't go "minimalistic modern" – it is a cool mix of vintage/new !!

• Reply Candy Pop 28th March 2015 at 5:46 pm

Thank you Ingrid. In truth I'd love a designer minimalist home, I just couldn't afford the price tag!

• Reply Heather @ my little red suitcase 28th March 2015 at 2:48 pm

It's lovely, so clear! and that chandelier….a beautiful piece. I want to believe you have a cupboard with many of your nice things tucked inside somewhere, ready to interchange. I sure you must! X

• Reply Candy Pop 28th March 2015 at 7:57 pm

Thank you Heather. You're right, I have a few plastic boxes of the best items while I decide what to do with them. There's not very much and I think a lot of it needs to go on eBay.

Have a great weekend!

• Reply Katie Bedlow 28th March 2015 at 8:44 pm

My very-english-1940s house is being brought into the 21st century over this summer, I do like a vintage look but not anything chintz anymore! I've gone for more streamlines shapes, Ercol or utility furniture, restful colours and oak. I think your home is looking beautifully fresh and full of character, it's fantastic to evolve your style and confidence! Katie x

• Reply Candy Pop 29th March 2015 at 4:59 pm

Good luck with your refurbishment, your plans sound great. It has been fun to experiment and it was definitely time for an update!

• Reply Victoria - Florence and Mary 29th March 2015 at 8:35 am

Wow so different and so calming. I still go between one and the other style these days. I love clearing out clutter but still have to have a trinket or two floating around.

Victoria xx

• Reply tinajo 29th March 2015 at 2:49 pm

It looks very fresh and cozy, I like your style and have quite a similar style as well. 🙂

• Reply Candy Pop 29th March 2015 at 5:00 pm

Thank you – you clearly have excellent taste – haha!

• Reply found and sewn 1st April 2015 at 10:50 am

Love your new look, so calm and fresh! xx

• Reply Candy Pop 3rd April 2015 at 8:42 am

Thank you Vicki, calm is the new collecting!