Places of Interest Travel UK

‘Famous Chelsea Buns’ at Fitzbillies, Cambridge

17th April 2015

‘Photographing a cake can be art’ Β Irving Penn

Last time I visited Cambridge I asked Twitter for recommendations. I was expecting people to suggest the Cambridge Colleges or punting on the River Cam, but instead everyone urged me to try a Chelsea bun at Fitzbillies, and so I did.

The experience was splendid and one to be repeated. So on a recent trip to Cambridge I revisited Fitzbillies, you see I had to ensure the superior quality was being maintained.

I like to think of myself as a bit of a Chelsea bun connoisseur because despite my blogger status* the Chelsea bun is my cake of choice. The Fitzbillies offering was just as I remembered; slightly firmer than your average bun and oozing with syrup. Definitely a cake worthy of being dubbed famous.

I took two back to Oxford to share with my man and I’m planning to take an empty suitcase on my next visit. They are really rather good. Trust me.

*The lifestyle blogger cake of choice is usually a pretty macaron or a pastel coloured cupcake.

More Cambridge on Candy Pop:Β Thunderstorms and Lemon Drizzle

Disclaimer: This is not a sponsored post, I simply adore Chelsea buns!

• Reply http://evaettorocoro.com/ 17th April 2015 at 10:08 am

You find my place ! What a wonderful Chelsea Buns ! They are terrific like the others "gourmandises' ! Have a lovely wekkend πŸ™‚ xo

• Reply Victoria - Florence and Mary 17th April 2015 at 10:42 am

I haven't been to Cambridge in months/years but this looks like it's worth arranging a visit for!

Have a lovely weekend.

• Reply Candy Pop 18th April 2015 at 6:03 pm

Thank you Victoria, it's certainly worth a trip!

• Reply Ingrid Orens 17th April 2015 at 5:31 pm

I think I need to plan a trip to Cambridge. I never have tasted a chelsea bun… and my oh my, they look soooo good.. (will have to google chelsea buns, I have no idea what's in them !)
    I saw the photo of the window display first on IG. And my first thought was "I want that 3 storey high daffodil cake". Just to put in my kitchen.. and admire… *sigh*

• Reply Candy Pop 18th April 2015 at 6:04 pm

You should try one, apparently they are quite easy to make. Have a great weekend.

• Reply Emyii Rankin 17th April 2015 at 8:49 pm

Wow, I would love to go there, this post makes me hungry =] haha

emyii90.blogspot.co.uk

• Reply Candy Pop 18th April 2015 at 6:05 pm

Thank you. Drafting this post made my teeth hurt!

• Reply Sammie Foster 17th April 2015 at 9:43 pm

This looks such a charming place. Love your blog such incredible photos.
    Sammie
    Little Blonde Life

• Reply Heather @ my little red suitcase 18th April 2015 at 8:39 am

Pretty! can I put my hand up and say I've never had a macaron. I need to rectify that I think πŸ™‚ I also need a bike with flowers on too. have a good weekend. X

• Reply Candy Pop 18th April 2015 at 6:07 pm

Thank you. I think 2015 is the year to try a macaron and put flowers on your bike!

• Reply Katie Bedlow 18th April 2015 at 4:23 pm

Oh my goodness!! I can honestly say I would find it impossible to choose from such a delicious display…so I'd just have to have a try of everything! I need a trip to Cambrdge this year, it's been so long! Katie x

• Reply CraveCute 18th April 2015 at 4:41 pm

Beautiful pics! Those cake are fabulous! Gorgeous edible creations!

• Reply KatGotTheCream 22nd April 2015 at 10:44 am

Ooh that's a really oozy chelsea bun – how decadent. I love them too, with plenty of spice as well as sugar xx

• Reply found and sewn 22nd April 2015 at 1:15 pm

Yum! Those Chelsea buns look so good. I think I need to visit Cambridge very soon xx

• Reply Jo 23rd April 2015 at 9:27 pm

That chelsea bun looks stunning – so much oozy syrup!! Definitely sounds like a worthwhile trip to Cambridge.

• Reply claire 26th April 2015 at 8:54 pm

Give me a macaroon any day. Additionally, those Chelsea Buns looks amazing!
    Claire xx