Interiors My Home

My Changing Interior Style + Seven Years of Candy Pop

21st June 2015

Candy Pop

‘Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.’  William Morris

When I was thirteen my art teacher noted on my school report that I might become an interior designer. At the time I had no idea what an interior designer was, and when my parents told me I recall thinking that didn’t sound like a real job! Looking back I’m amazed she could predict my future career, at forty I’ve still no idea what I’d like to do!

Throughout my teenage years I often redecorated my bedroom. One scheme involved pulling up the carpet and painting the floorboards black. It was the 1980s and everything was black ash, and black and white Athena prints. I was so proud of my contemporary room that I took some photographs, and there began a lifetime of documenting my changing interior styles.

I have photographs of all my teenage bedrooms, my three student rooms, and every property I’ve lived in since. These have ranged from a tiny studio flat on the Kings Road, Chelsea, to a room in a Victorian townhouse in Worthing. I’m almost certain that if the internet had been around when I was a teenager I would have shared my bedroom photographs online. Although I’m sure my parents would have had something to say about that!

Candy Pop

My love of mid-century design, in particular Eames furniture, began when I bought my first flat in 2003. Built in the 1960s I decided to restore the property. I painted every room white and furnished it with mid-century pieces: an arc lamp, Eames DSR chairs, Marcel Breuer’s Wassily chair and so on. At the time I didn’t use the internet and I recall contacting modern furniture shops desperately trying to get hold of the ‘Eiffel Tower’ chairs I’d seen in a magazine. More than ten years on and Vitra Eames DSR chairs are still my favourites.

I had to wait until 19th June 2008 to post my first interior photograph on the world wide web, which I did via Flickr under the name of Candy Pop. To celebrate this milestone I’ve posted a few of my interior shots. My taste and style has changed a lot over the years, as I’ve moved away from vintage collecting into the calm and serene world of minimalist living. A journey I have documented here.

Candy Pop

Over the years I’ve been honoured to have my home featured in a book (N.E.E.T.), some magazines (Your Home, 91 Magazine, Vintage Life and Mollie Makes), and numerous blogs including A Beautiful Mess, Laura Ashley and Apartment Therapy. I’ve even had my home styled by Selina Lake, which was like a masterclass in interior styling! I’m always amazed at the offers that appear in my inbox because I never feel my home is magazine worthy, I simply create a place I like to live in.

For now I will continue to enjoy my white and grey minimalist rooms, and growing house plant collection. They say we all turn into our parents and my love of plants has definitely been passed down, either that or I’m simply getting old! My interior style is always changing and evolving, and I’ve no idea how things will look in the future. I guess that’s the beauty of life and interior design, you never quite know what will happen next.

Candy PopCandy Pop
Candy PopUntitled
Candy Pop

Further posts featuring my home can be found here. Happy Summer solstice and have a lovely day!

• Reply Ingrid Orens 21st June 2015 at 9:02 pm

I think I must have scrolled up/down about ten times in this blogpost ! So many things that are my cup of tea (although I have a less minimalistic way of decorating, to put it mildly…)
    It would be fascinating to see your teen/student bedrooms as well ;-)….
    No chance you're willing to scan them and make a blogpost about it ?
    And PS – congrats with the 7 years of Candy Pop ! Yay ! A good reason to have cake, I think… 😉

• Reply Candy Pop 22nd June 2015 at 12:21 pm

Thank you Ingrid for your lovely comment. I'm not sure if the internet is ready to see my teen and student bedrooms, but I'll certainly take your advise and have some cake!

• Reply http://evaettorocoro.com/ 22nd June 2015 at 7:28 pm

I'm agree with your teacher, you could be an interior designer. Don't forget, I found your house very charming in "ABM" and that's why I started to write in your blog !
    Happy summertime Natasha !

• Reply Candy Pop 23rd June 2015 at 8:21 am

Thank you Eva, you're too kind! Have a great day.

• Reply CraveCute 23rd June 2015 at 12:40 am

Always interesting to see what you've been up to CP and I love your new style, even though I am a far cry from it!! To each his own I say. But seriously your style has become very refined and only the best appears in your photos. I applaud you and cheer you on for another seven years of fabulous images. Cheers to you Natasha and to Candy Pop!

• Reply Candy Pop 23rd June 2015 at 8:23 am

Thank you for being a regular visitor, and leaving so many lovely comments. Have a wonderful day!

• Reply katysclutter 24th June 2015 at 8:01 pm

Ahh I remember your old kitchen and the Lyons maid sign, when I discovered blogs you were one of the first i regularly read. It's interested to see how you have evolved and changed your style as your life and surroundings changed. I suppose thats what life is all about! Still love that sign though :0 xx

• Reply Candy Pop 25th June 2015 at 9:58 am

Thank you for your kind comment, and for following Candy Pop since the early days. (I still have the Lyons Maid sign, I'm saving it for when I retire and open a seaside tearoom!)

• Reply Kate Gardiner 24th June 2015 at 8:05 pm

I love your interior photos and the black and white ones at the top of this post are stunning – my favourites!

• Reply Candy Pop 25th June 2015 at 10:02 am

Thank you, they're my favourites too!

• Reply Jo 24th June 2015 at 8:50 pm

What a fantastic post! It's always fun to see how our styles and tastes change over time. I was part of the "Changing Rooms" generation so my bedroom went through many transformations in my teens! I think I have them all documented somewhere too.

At school I was told I should be a milliner after filling in some sort of career questionaire. I've knitted two hats this year so I suppose I'm finally on my "career path"!!

• Reply Candy Pop 25th June 2015 at 10:05 am

Thank you Jo. Someone on Instagram suggested we scan our teenage bedroom photos and share them. How funny / frightening would that be. I'm glad to hear you're finally on your career path!

• Reply Victoria - Florence and Mary 29th June 2015 at 11:02 am

Oh if you were an interior designer I would've snapped you right up.