‘Vienna waits for you…’ Billy Joel
With horse drawn carriages, dreamy palaces and non-stop Beethoven, Vienna was a delight. We stayed at Motel One; an inexpensive and stylish hotel, and did all the touristy stuff. Here are 10 things I’d recommend if you’re visiting the city.
1. Order schnitzel at the famous Figlmuller.
3. Visit some of the many ice cream parlours, although choosing what to order is tough!
4. Lose a few hours wandering along the graffiti covered Donaukanal. With its own man-made sandy beach and deck chairs it’s a hub of music and activity.
5. Take the tiny lift to the top of St Stephen’s Cathedral, the view is breathtaking.
6. Enjoy the flowers; we were there in late April and there were beds of tulips everywhere.
7. Catch a performance at the Vienna State Opera or watch from the screen outside.
8. Relax in the classical gardens of the Belvedere Palace, there’s a terrific view of the city from inside the museum.
9. Wander around the glorious parks, palaces, museums and art galleries.
10. Join the locals by having lunch at one of the Vienna sausage stands. The sausage with cheese, served with bread and mustard, is delicious!