Creative Business Creativity Self-Care Simple Living

6 Ways to Spend Less Time Online

28th August 2015

Sponsored post

6 Ways to Spend Less Time Online | candypop.uk.com

DIGITAL DETOX

Every now and then I like to take an internet break to completely unplug from the virtual world and connect with family, friends and the environment. My best ideas and creativity come when I’m away from technology and too much time online makes me feel busy and restless.

I haven’t been online very much of late. It wasn’t intentional, I just got swept away with a book and the fresh air of the Cotswolds. We all know too much screen time isn’t good for us, but it’s not always easy to find the perfect balance. Especially when, like me, you have a blog to run and a day job!

I’m always looking for ways to simplify my time online, and after a little internet break, I thought I’d share what I do to push back. Don’t get me wrong, I love the web, it’s just good to occasionally have a break.

6 Ways to Spend Less Time Online | candypop.uk.com6 Ways to Spend Less Time Online | candypop.uk.com 6 Ways to Spend Less Time Online | candypop.uk.com 6 Ways to Spend Less Time Online | candypop.uk.com

1. Unsubscribe

I ruthlessly filter every email that arrives in my inbox. By taking a few moments to unsubscribe or mark as spam, I’ve cut incoming emails by roughly a third. I also set a little time each day to address every email. It’s a little obsessive but I love a clear inbox! Further reading: how to address your inbox and free up more time.

2. Simplify notifications

The only phone notifications I have activated are texts and tweets. That way I’m not tempted to pick up my phone every time it flashes. When I’m out my mobile tends to stay in my bag to stop me aimlessly scrolling through social media and missing the world around me.

3. Limit sharing

In the past, I’ve posted and tweeted things that weren’t necessary, so this year I cut back on what I post and share. After all, there’s enough random online noise without me adding to it! Although I love to be part of the online community, I no longer feel I have to participate all day long.

6 Ways to Spend Less Time Online | candypop.uk.com
6 Ways to Spend Less Time Online | candypop.uk.com

4. Limit following

As much as I’d love to follow every newsfeed, blog and inspirational Instagram account there simply aren’t enough hours in the day!

5. No internet before 9am or after 10pm

When this is possible it makes a huge difference. The early hours are precious and I like to plan my day without distractions. I prefer a slow-paced morning and if I see what the world is doing before I even get out of bed, I can feel completely overwhelmed. I also like to fully unwind before I go to bed and that means unplugging. Sorry, internet. Further reading: how to create a calm morning.

6. Enjoy internet free days because they’re invigorating!

Although my recent time offline wasn’t intentional, I try to have time away as often as I can. Taking a step back makes me assess what I miss and what I don’t. And I’d rather my ideas come from my relationship with the real world than the online one. Further reading: the joy of spending time offline.

And finally, when I’m online I try to take plenty of breaks. Looking out of the window at something in the distance is kind to my eyes.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a calm and beautiful day!

6 Ways to Spend Less Time Online | candypop.uk.com

Tunic – c/o White Stuff | Jeans – For All Mankind | Sandals – From Santorini | Scarf – Muji | Sunglasses – Prada | Basket – Old Made

This post is a sponsored collaboration with White Stuff. All views are my own.

Follow on Bloglovin’ | Join the mailing list

• Reply Kate 28th August 2015 at 10:15 am

I totally agree with you about leaving your phone in your bag when you’re out and my husband and I have a no technology cut off time in the evenings which has really helped us to relax and sleep better. I think a big problem nowadays is the dreaded fear of missing out which is why people get lured into checking social media a lot.

Reply Candy Pop 28th August 2015 at 12:18 pm

Thank you Kate for stopping by. It makes such a difference in the evenings. In truth I try to switch off by 9pm, but it’s not always possible – one to work on! Have a lovely weekend.

• Reply Victoria 28th August 2015 at 11:46 am

I must admit that recently I was ill for about 2 weeks and it was the first time in ages I actually stopped engaging with social media. Whilst I didn’t detox completely I certainly switched off and there was no replying to emails, tweeting or Facebook updating and it was really nice to have the break.

Reply Candy Pop 28th August 2015 at 12:20 pm

Hi Victoria.. Sorry to hear you were ill, I hope you’re better now. I think I spend more time online when I’m unwell because I get bored. Have a great weekend!

• Reply Jo 28th August 2015 at 10:17 pm

Great pieces of advice, especially limiting notifications on phones. I don’t know why people have facebook etc. notifications pop up on their phones. It would drive me demented! I actually took a facebook detox last month and a complete technology detox 2 weekends ago as I’ve been feeling overwhelmed recently and definitely felt better for it. Although I love the fun and interaction technology brings I really don’t like feeling tied to it. It’s good to unplug sometimes.

And I know this has nothing to do with the post, but your hair looks lovely in these photos!

Reply Candy Pop 29th August 2015 at 11:46 am

Thank you for your comment, and for the hair compliment! Well done with your digital detox, I’m alway amazed at how much I get done when I take time out. Have a lovely Saturday.

• Reply Michelle 29th August 2015 at 9:55 am

What a lovely post! I love the switch off in the evenings idea, sometimes I ‘go to bed early’ but in reality eat that time away once in bed online. I’ll make a conscious effort to step away from my phone!
    Michelle x

Reply Candy Pop 29th August 2015 at 11:49 am

Thank you Michelle. You’re right, it really does eat time. Have a great day!

• Reply Me, you and magoo 30th August 2015 at 7:03 pm

We’ve just spent 6 days camping in a valley with no mobile signal…it has been lovely to be cut-off from the online world! I haven’t missed it at all. Definitely agree with internet-free days & I don’t go online after 10pm either. I love the internet, but you can become addicted to social media if you’re not careful…

Reply Candy Pop 1st September 2015 at 5:39 pm

Good for you. The same happened to me in Cornwall at Easter, I couldn’t seem to get a signal and it was a blessing! 🙂

• Reply tinajo 31st August 2015 at 3:04 pm

Breaks are good, otherwise one could start believing that the online world is more important than the real one.

Reply Candy Pop 1st September 2015 at 5:40 pm

Thank you!

• Reply Jeska 31st August 2015 at 11:04 pm

My balance is way way off 🙁

But this post has helped me a lot, thank you! xx

Reply Candy Pop 1st September 2015 at 5:41 pm

Hi Jeska.. You’re most welcome! 🙂

• Reply Eva 2nd September 2015 at 2:01 pm

I’m agree with you ! I taked a break for a month (not in instagram) and I loved it !
    Your kaftan is so nice !

Reply Candy Pop 3rd September 2015 at 9:50 pm

Thank you Eva, have a lovely day.

• Reply Ingrid 3rd September 2015 at 5:52 pm

Sometimes it is so difficult to have a “online detox”…
    From time to time, I really want to get away from everything online/social media, but then I feel guilty for not checking friends’ blogs, IG accounts,… And so most of the time I postpone my detox period… (Not good, I know…)

Reply Candy Pop 3rd September 2015 at 9:51 pm

You shouldn’t feel guilty, no one would mind if you took a break. I certainly wouldn’t! 🙂