Interiors My Home Self-Care

How To Create A Calm Morning + Styling The Seasons

18th September 2015

How To Create A Calm Morning
How To Create A Calm Morning
How To Create A Calm Morning
How to Create a Calm Morning

I’m not a morning person and so I do everything I can to ensure my day gets off to a great start. I’ve found that by doing a few simple things before I go to bed I can create a calm morning. And by organising the things I can control I have more energy to deal with those I can’t. Cancelled train, I’m looking at you!

Here are 3 things I do the night before to create a calm morning.

1. TIDY

I love to sleep in a serene and tranquil space and so before I go to bed I put away my clothes and anything else I’ve used during the day. To me, there’s nothing worse than waking up to yesterday’s mess, and as they say ‘don’t put off until tomorrow what you can do today.’

2. PLAN

I like to have a plan for the coming day, this might be a checklist or a completely clear diary, either way I enjoy having a focus. If I need to be up early I prepare by choosing my clothes, packing my bag, charging my phone and so on. I do as much as I can in advance to help things run smoothly the following day.

3. UNWIND

I try to unwind before going to bed and so I switch off all technology as early as convenient. It’s good to reflect on the day and to plan the next without distractions (I’ve written an entire post about ways to spend less time online). I save my books and magazines for the late evenings, and should inspiration strike in the middle of the night I always have a pen and paper to hand!

If I’ve had a particularly busy or stressful day I’ll make time for a bubble bath with scented candles and a milky hot chocolate. Lovely! A good night’s sleep always makes me feel amazing when I wake up.

Are you a morning person? Do you have any tips to create a calm morning?

How To Create A Calm MorningUntitledUntitled
Untitled

My French dressing table display is for this month’s Styling the Seasons, run by Katy and Charlotte. Styling the Seasons involves taking a surface in your home and dressing it to represent the month and what it means to you. To me September is all about the new and I couldn’t resist indulging in some pretty pastel pink, this season’s colour.

Links to all items:
Dressing table – Vintage | Anglepoise lamp – John Lewis | Roberts radio – John Lewis | Succulent and pot – Homebase | Small basket – Native & Co | Ceramic pot – Illyria Pottery | Hydrangeas – Debenhams Flowers | Vase – Workshop Living | Chanel print – Vintage | Belly basket – Olli Ella | Blanket – The Future Kept | Scarf – Muji

• Reply Victoria 18th September 2015 at 10:11 am

I most definitely am not a morning person but I wouldn’t see things are very calm in the mornings either as I run about usually late for work!!

Have a great weekend lovely.

Reply Candy Pop 18th September 2015 at 11:11 am

I guess running to work is good exercise! Have a fabulous weekend.

• Reply Charlotte 18th September 2015 at 6:08 pm

Thanks so much for joining in this month. Good advice (I’m going to try and put my clothes away the night before) and a gorgeous dressing table x

Reply Candy Pop 18th September 2015 at 6:18 pm

Thank you Charlotte for your kind comment, I hope you have a lovely weekend!

• Reply Katie Robbins 20th September 2015 at 7:33 am

Before children I was definitely a morning person – now I’m not so sure.
    Love all your tips for being organised – charging my phone the night before is a must; as is finding my external battery which is a life-saver for my IG habit!
    Beautiful dressing table (and I do love that cute little pot ).

Reply Candy Pop 20th September 2015 at 10:09 am

Thanks so much Katie.

• Reply Eva 20th September 2015 at 8:16 am

Very nice bedroom! I’m a morning person, I love mornings and breakfast it’s my favourite meal. I made a little bit like you, I don’t like waking up to yesterday’s mess, so I’ll try to order before go to bed. All what I need in mornint time is nice coffee and calm! Happy sunday!

Reply Candy Pop 20th September 2015 at 10:10 am

Happy Sunday Eva, coffee and calm sound good to me!

• Reply Alli 21st September 2015 at 1:49 pm

Planning the night before is such a key thing for the following morning. There is no way i can get out the door to the gym without having my gym clothes set out the night before & no internets after 10 is also a great idea! It’s 10:19pm now and I NEED to get into bed. Great post!

Reply Candy Pop 22nd September 2015 at 1:36 pm

Thank you Alli for your kind comment. A packed gym bag is very wise!

• Reply Katy 22nd September 2015 at 4:46 pm

What a gorgeous dressing table and those Hydrangeas are to die for! I definitely need to be more consistent about tidying before I go to bed as a tidy house makes me feel so much more productive in the morning – great advice x

Reply Candy Pop 22nd September 2015 at 7:03 pm

Thanks so much Katy. Waking up in a tidy home is such a joy. I’m really enjoying Styling the Seasons, thank you for the motivation!

• Reply Jo 23rd September 2015 at 12:01 am

I’m also a fan of tidying up as much as possible before going to bed and picking out clothes for the following day. I absolutely *loathe* getting up in the morning so it’s good to have an outfit ready to wear set out and a clear path out of the bedroom!

Reply Candy Pop 24th September 2015 at 8:25 pm

Thanks Jo. A clear path out of the bedroom – I love it!

• Reply Hannah 23rd September 2015 at 9:29 am

I’m a terrible morning person – like a walking cloud of chaos! I could definitely do with following some of these. I was also considering imposing a social media ban on myself from 9pm-9am as it’s so so easy to get swept up in twitter etc and end up going to bed really late!

Hannah x

Reply Candy Pop 24th September 2015 at 8:26 pm

Thank you Hannah. A social media ban is the best and it’s good to remind Facebook who’s the boss!

• Reply Susi 24th September 2015 at 2:04 pm

I’ve found that if I keep my To Do list pretty succinct, and write it the night before, it helps me sleep. So, rather than a long list of jobs, I try and restrict it to three big things (clear desk of all random bits of paper, write thank you letters, do profit and loss maths, say) and then I go to bed feeling happy!

Reply Candy Pop 24th September 2015 at 8:28 pm

Thanks Susi. That’s a great idea. I really need to stick to a 3 job to-do list, then I might feel I can get to the end of it!