Interiors My Home

My Favourite Monochrome Rugs

20th October 2015

Monochrome Rugs

MONOCHROME RUGS

I prefer light, bright minimalist interiors and it’s not just the aesthetics I’m drawn to, I also find them calming and uplifting. Simple interiors are low maintenance, quick to tidy and easy to keep clean. Perfect when you have a busy life or don’t want to spend too much time doing the housework.

When I began simplifying my home I hadn’t decided to create a monochrome living room, it just seemed to happen. I think it was a desire to live somewhere a little more grown-up after years of living with vintage toys and collectables. I guess we all have to grow up sooner or later!

I was also inspired by the interiors of Scandinavia. I love the clean lines, muted palettes, modesty and simplicity. There’s definitely an understated elegance and sophistication to Swedish interiors that really appeals to me. I find it’s a style I go back to time and time again, I even have an entire Pinterest board dedicated to it!

After removing all the clutter and repainting the room, I personalised the space with cushions, plants and one or two collectables. And to stop the room looking too plain or wishy-washy, I added a printed rug. Rugs help to define the space and bring everything together, they’re also cosy especially if you have wood floors. After a little searching online I found these two gorgeous monochrome rugs. I couldn’t decide between the two so I bought both, which I’ll admit wasn’t very minimalist of me!

My love of monochrome print stems from an admiration of 1960’s style and Op Art in particular Mary Quant, Bridget Riley and, of course, my all time favourite Twiggy. I think a monochrome print gives the room a slightly retro edge and despite enjoying minimalism I’ll always be vintage at heart!

Do you have patterned rugs in your home?

Monochrome Rug

Hollywood Wool Rug and Serenity Wool Rug from the Accessories range at Furniture Village.

Monochrome Rugs

This post is in collaboration with Furniture Village.

• Reply Victoria 20th October 2015 at 11:48 am

Every time my dad walks into my flat he tells me ‘you need a rug’

Reply Candy Pop 20th October 2015 at 12:20 pm

How funny, are you getting one?

• Reply Lia 20th October 2015 at 4:12 pm

Oh WOW! I’m SOLD! I didn’t really need a new rug, until now 😉 and I wouldn’t of thought of checking out Furniture Village in a million years, but I’m going to now!

Reply Candy Pop 20th October 2015 at 4:13 pm

Haha! And they’re on sale! 😉

• Reply Fiona 20th October 2015 at 5:12 pm

I love monochrome, such a great way to make a room like stylish without too much effort. I really love the cushion with the trees on! x

Reply Candy Pop 21st October 2015 at 9:22 am

Thanks Fiona, the cushion with trees on is by Swedish based designer ‘Fine Little Day.’ I found her via Instagram.

• Reply Lori 20th October 2015 at 9:27 pm

Totally love these rugs and the room, i’m desperate to have wood flooring so I can use muliple rugs in our home. Happily surprised these come from furniture village! x

Reply Candy Pop 21st October 2015 at 9:23 am

Thank you Lori for stopping by. I hope you get some wood floors!

• Reply Alice 20th October 2015 at 10:03 pm

Love these! I’m with you – the simpler the better, though I like to create interest through rugs as they can be switched out so easily. Would never have thought to shop for them at Furniture Village though, I’m sold!

Reply Candy Pop 21st October 2015 at 9:26 am

Thanks Alice. This style of rug is sold at a number of places, but Furniture Village currently have them on sale, bonus!

• Reply Eva 21st October 2015 at 9:20 am

I am very appreciative of your simple inside. Your new cushions are very beautiful. I would like to have a simple decoration but I think for now I’m not ready! Someday….

Reply Candy Pop 21st October 2015 at 9:28 am

Thank you Eva. I adore printed cushions, mine are by Fine Little Day, Orla Kiely and Marimekko. Have a lovely Wednesday!

• Reply Fritha Strickland 24th October 2015 at 6:38 pm

I’m a massive fan of colour so I’m always drawn to bright colours rather than monochrome but I’ve recently realised I need to mix them up and have some monochrome in there too. These looks look perfect! I totally wouldn’t have thought they’d be in Furniture Village though x

Reply Candy Pop 24th October 2015 at 8:34 pm

Thanks Fritha.. Me too, although I’m increasingly wanting to tone things down in my home. Have a lovely weekend!