Wardrobe Inspiration

A Few Tips For Buying Luxury For Less

11th November 2015

Buying Luxury For Less

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA

When it comes to shopping there are three rules I follow: buy little, buy quality and try not to pay full-price. And as a minimalist, I tend to think of the long-term value of an item and so I mostly invest in classic well-made pieces.

My passion for luxury began when I worked for agnes b. in the late 1990s. With a generous staff allowance and discount, I wore nothing else. And once I’d developed a taste for quality there was no going back!

I’ve never really had a huge disposable income but through research and investing in well-made items I’ve managed to save a few pennies. I’ll always favour quality over quantity and I still use and enjoy the accessories I purchased in Selfridges when I worked in the Personal Shopping department over ten years ago. In fact, I hold the store responsible for my designer handbag obsession!

With a passion for buying less and buying luxury, I was recently interviewed by Woman and Home who were researching ways to buy luxury for less. I was thrilled to be contacted and so I thought it would be fun to share a few of my tips here on Candy Pop.

RESEARCH

As boring as it sounds I rarely impulse buy and I always spend a little time researching before I part with my hard-earned cash. I’m amazed at how much I save simply by shopping around and I don’t even have to leave the comfort of my sofa!

DISCOUNTS

There’s always an offer to be had, trust me. If I need something I’ll wait for promotions or sales, and although I don’t like to be spammed I’m on the mailing lists of the brands I love so I don’t miss any discounts.

I’ve opened store cards on larger purchases to receive a reduction and once I’m home I’ve paid off the balance and closed the account. How naughty! I also take advantage of reward card schemes which offer discounts and help me to build up a Christmas shopping fund. The Liberty and Harrods loyalty cards are great for those cheeky handbag purchases!

EXTRA COSTS

If an item needs to be delivered I look for retailers who do not charge. I often buy my larger items from John Lewis because they offer free delivery to orders over £50. They also price match which has enabled me to take advantage of offers I’ve seen elsewhere.

ASK

If I’ve exhausted all options and I’m spending a considerable amount I’ll usually ask in store for a discount. Yes, I am that person! I was recently offered a 10% reduction on a full-price raincoat simply by joining the mailing list. It’s always worth asking and having worked in retail I know no one will think any less of you.

You can catch my mini case study in the November edition of Woman and Home. I’m super excited to be in the same magazine as the gorgeous Meryl Streep!

Are you a lover of luxury and do you have any tips for saving the pennies?

Buying Luxury For Less

• Reply Sue 11th November 2015 at 10:27 am

Oh these are good tips!! I’d add that places like TKMaxx have some good stuff sometimes too. Off to buy that mag this week x

Reply Candy Pop 11th November 2015 at 10:48 am

Thanks Susie for popping over. I live near the Oxford branch of TK Maxx, but I try not to go in because I end up leaving with stuff I don’t need! That said it’s great for Le Creuset. Have a fabulous Wednesday lovely. x

• Reply Kate 11th November 2015 at 11:23 am

I’m a big lover of luxury, especially handbags! I love my collection of Mulberry bags so much from the days when I could afford to buy them. I don’t mind the price tag so much as I know they will last a lifetime x

Reply Candy Pop 11th November 2015 at 12:10 pm

Oooh, I’d love to see your Mulberry collection. I have the Alexa and I’d love the Lily, but I don’t think it will happen anytime soon! x

• Reply Christie 11th November 2015 at 12:50 pm

So you have TK Maxx now. It’s TJ Maxx here in the US and it’s headquarters are right down the road from us. Dangerous! How much do we love that the amazing Meryl is wearing “Cerulean Blue” on that cover? !

Reply Candy Pop 11th November 2015 at 2:30 pm

Meryl looks fabulous, as always. TJ Maxx sounds much better than TK Maxx! x

• Reply Polly 11th November 2015 at 9:39 pm

Great tips, TKMAXX is dangerous isn’t it?!

Reply Candy Pop 11th November 2015 at 10:01 pm

Thanks Polly for stopping by! x

• Reply Victoria 12th November 2015 at 11:03 am

I treated my mum to a Marc Jacobs bag from Liberty’s for her birthday because there was a discount on it. Saved a good few pounds buying it that way.

Reply Candy Pop 12th November 2015 at 3:36 pm

That’s so sweet of you! x

• Reply Eva 12th November 2015 at 3:33 pm

It’s a honour be in the same magazine that Meryl Streep! Congrats! For save some money sometimes I’m buying in the pre-soldes with the client’s card! xo

Reply Candy Pop 12th November 2015 at 3:37 pm

Thanks so much Eva, definitely an honour! x

• Reply Lucy 12th November 2015 at 9:15 pm

So cool! I am actually going to go and buy it at the shop and tell them my friend is in it! Great tips … X

Reply Candy Pop 13th November 2015 at 8:09 am

Haha, thanks Lucy! x

• Reply laura redburn 13th November 2015 at 7:18 pm

a woman/post after my own heart! i too will always wait for sales, or if there’s a discount on something i want to buy as a present for example, but it’s way off, i’ll buy then when it’s cheaper rather than risking it and paying full price.

Reply Candy Pop 15th November 2015 at 3:15 pm

Thanks Laura, thrifty is the best way to be! x