Interiors My Home Self-Care

How To Get A Good Night’s Sleep

4th December 2015

A Good Nights Sleep
A Good Nights Sleep
A Good Nights Sleep

HOW TO GET A GOOD NIGHT’S SLEEP

Most of the time I sleep like a baby, but on occasion dropping off and staying there can be a challenge, especially if I’m stressed or something is worrying me. When this happens I address my evening routine and put a few things in place to regain my sleep mojo.

COMFORT

A comfortable bed is vital when it comes to a good night’s sleep. You should consider replacing your mattress if it’s showing signs of wear or if it’s over eight years old. I replaced mine shortly after moving because one of the removal men complimented me on my furniture but said I needed a new mattress – cheeky thing! I have a synthetic duvet that feels like goose down and I sleep under cotton bedding. The combination is like sleeping under a cloud!

CLOTHING

Always wear what you’re comfortable in and get rid of anything you don’t love. I have a friend who won’t wear pyjamas and another who gets so cold she wears two hoodies! I prefer to sleep in cotton and I have a range of different night clothes to suits the seasons. This season I’m mostly wearing pj’s!

SWITCH OFF

There’s definitely a link between how long it takes me to get to sleep and how late I was on the internet. To combat this, I’ve set a 9pm iPhone alarm to remind me to switch off. It’s my ‘get back to the real world’ reminder and I look forward to logging off for the day. If you’re having trouble sleeping and you’re using technology in bed I would certainly give this is try.

ROUTINE

Create a routine that works for you and stick to it. Regular sleeping hours help the internal body clock and make dropping off easier.

UNWIND

There are so many ways to unwind from reading to having a long soak in the bath. I like to tidy away the day and plan for the next and I do this while listening to some calming tunes.

AMBIANCE

If I’m finding sleep a challenge I put a few drops of lavender oil in a teacup of boiling water next to my bed. I also have the window open slightly to let in a little air. Your bedroom should feel like a calm retreat and it’s worth investing a little time creating a tranquil space. I like my room to be clean and tidy and everything to feel organised. I sleep well when my life and my things are in order!

A Good Nights Sleep

THE SECRET LINEN STORE

My beautiful 100% cotton bedding set was a gift from Molly and Harriet of the Secret Linen Store. I’m a huge fan of white bedding and so I was excited to try something new, especially after pinning so many charcoal grey Scandinavian bedrooms on Pinterest. Anyway, I’m thrilled with my mini bedroom makeover and it’s certainly going to feel cosy on Christmas morning.

As a special Christmas treat, Molly and Harriet would like to offer you a 10% discount using the code CANDYPOP (valid until 31st December). You can view all the ranges here, I’ve currently got my eye on the gorgeous graphite grey ferns.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

A Good Nights Sleep
A Good Nights Sleep

This post is in collaboration with the Secret Linen Store.

• Reply Alison, Not Another Mummy Blog 4th December 2015 at 9:12 am

Beautiful bedding!! I’m with you on trying to switch off before bedtime – I need to get better at it, and love the idea of setting an alarm to remind me.

Reply Candy Pop 4th December 2015 at 9:15 am

Thanks Alison, without my alarm I just get lost down the rabbit hole of the internet!

• Reply lori 4th December 2015 at 9:21 am

OOh I love bedding and these greys are beautiful! I really need to get more sleep and ditch the panda eyes for Christmas. x

Reply Candy Pop 5th December 2015 at 3:22 pm

Thanks Lori, you haven’t got panda eyes!

• Reply Molly 4th December 2015 at 1:15 pm

Gorgeous bedding! Our bedroom is currently in a total state of dissarray but luckily I’m so exhausted at the moment I don’t notice it once my head hits the pillow. I’m looking forward to redecorating and making it my unwind sanctuary in 2016!

Reply Candy Pop 5th December 2015 at 3:23 pm

Thank you Molly, here’s to 2016 and your redecorated unwind sanctuary!

• Reply Jemma 4th December 2015 at 1:22 pm

I have a rule where I’m not allowed to even take my iPhone into the bedroom. It definitely helps!

Reply Candy Pop 5th December 2015 at 3:23 pm

That’s a great idea!

• Reply Rachel 4th December 2015 at 7:28 pm

That alarm at 9pm is a great idea which I might have to borrow 🙂 also, that bedding is seriously tempting. I need to do a bit of a bedroom makeover – starting with a headboard.

Reply Candy Pop 5th December 2015 at 3:24 pm

Of course you can borrow it!

• Reply Polly 4th December 2015 at 10:12 pm

Great tips….I fall asleep the second o hot the pillow as so tired…bit often struggle

Reply Candy Pop 5th December 2015 at 3:25 pm

Thanks Polly for stopping by.

• Reply Jo 5th December 2015 at 12:54 pm

Great tips, Natasha. Your bed certainly looks inviting and cosy. I completely agree on your point about changing your mattress. I changed mine this month and the difference in my comfort and quality of sleep is unreal! I hadn’t realised just how bad the old one was and I don’t wake up with achey joints and muscles anymore. It’s amazing. The other great change for me this year has been knitting in the evenings. It definitely helps to unwind or distract my brain.

Reply Candy Pop 5th December 2015 at 3:26 pm

Thank you Jo. That’s great news about your mattress, it’s amazing what a difference it can make.

• Reply Eva 6th December 2015 at 8:40 am

Greats tips! I think is very importan swich off the computer and telephone at least one hour before go to bed. Your bedroom is very nice and that is important as well for a good sleep!

Reply Candy Pop 6th December 2015 at 10:08 am

Thanks Eva, have a great Sunday.

• Reply Jess @ Along Came Cherry 6th December 2015 at 10:03 am

Great tips and beautiful bedding. I love that throw! x

Reply Candy Pop 6th December 2015 at 10:09 am

Thanks! The throw was from The Future Kept. 🙂

• Reply Kate 7th December 2015 at 10:02 pm

I love your copper plant pot!

Reply Candy Pop 9th December 2015 at 10:18 am

Thanks Kate.

• Reply Sathwik Laxman 10th December 2015 at 9:22 am

super post!! love the images of the comfortable bed.
    I also read a great take on modern home decor ideas;

Reply Candy Pop 11th December 2015 at 8:36 pm