Interiors My Home Self-Care

8 Ways To Ease The January Blues

12th January 2016

The January Blues

THE JANUARY BLUES

With the post-Christmas comedown, new year’s resolutions, rainy days and the back to work blues, January is definitely one of the hardest months. And after the festive period, I always feel sluggish and not really motivated to set myself any challenging goals. So after years of grey Januaries, I decided to be kind to myself which in turn made the month a much nicer place to be. So here are my 8 ways to ease the January blues.

KINDNESS

It’s normal to not feel your best in January so don’t worry or be hard on yourself if you’re not jumping for joy. I like to remind myself that the days are getting longer and the daffodils and crocuses are on their way.

FRIENDS & LAUGHTER

I always catch up with friends in January and it’s a lovely way to spend the darker evenings. Fun times and laughter are good for the soul and if nothing else we can giggle over who’s having the most miserable month! January is also a great time to book a holiday and make plans, after all, it’s lovely to haveΒ a few exciting things to look forward to.

DECLUTTER

Yep, you’ve guessed it my all time favourite mood lifter is to remove the clutter. Despite trying to live simply, I always find stuff builds up and there’s nothing as uplifting as letting go of the unused and unloved items, especially when they’re donated to charity.

FRESH AIR & DAYLIGHT

It’s good to get as much daylight and fresh air as possible so grab your wellies and say hello to the great outdoors. I like to walk each morning and on sunny days when there’s a beautiful blue sky I wrap up warm and pretend it’s summer!

The January Blues

HEALTHY DIET

After the indulgence of Christmas, I try to eat a little healthier and a good diet boosts my energy levels. I always stick to a balanced diet and believe in eating everything in moderation. I’ve learnt that if I cut something out I craveΒ it and so I tend not to deny myself the occasional treat.

EXERCISE & SLEEP

There’s nothing quite like exercise for feeling good and you don’t need to spend hours on a treadmill, just a brisk walk or a 20-minute workout are enough. Little and often is my strategy and when I’m not feeling motivated I try to focus on how great I’ll feel when it’s over. It’s also wiseΒ to get into a regular sleep pattern because the body works better when it has aΒ routine.

ESCAPE

At this time of year, the internet is packed with sale bargains and new year’s resolutions so rather than comparing yourself to others or feeling you’re missing out why not switch off with a good book or film. Escaping into a land of fantasy is a cosy and relaxing way to unwind, especially if it’s raining outside.

TREATS

As a minimalist I buy very little, however in January, I allow myself a few treats to brighten up my home. I also like to clean and restyle my apartment when the Christmas decorations come down. It cheers my heart when things are looking all fresh and sparkly, and it makes me feel like spring is just around the corner.

Do you have any tips for easing the January blues?

The January Blues
Untitled

• Reply Eva 12th January 2016 at 8:24 am

You are right, January is not a easy month. What I do to escape is try to do more exercise and sleep in the weekend the most I can. Fortunately I live very near from the ocean and I like to go and see the big waves. I’ll try to capture the little winter light as much as possible. And like you, love meet my friends for a nice capuccino. xx

Reply Candy Pop 12th January 2016 at 9:06 am

Thank you Eva, that sounds wonderful! x

• Reply Sue 12th January 2016 at 1:32 pm

I love to restyle too when the decs come down… Also a haircut always makes me feel better this time of year x

Reply Candy Pop 12th January 2016 at 2:04 pm

Oooh, I’d love a January haircut! x

• Reply Slummy single mummy 12th January 2016 at 4:34 pm

I’ve been feeling pretty grim this week, and always find a change of scene works well for me. Yesterday I went to Glastonbury and did a sort of on/off work/potter thing, mooching between cafes and pretty shops. I bought some pretty things for my wedding, ate a wholesome lunch and walked about a lot. That worked well. It is tough though, and I don’t think we cut ourselves enough slack most of the time.

Reply Candy Pop 13th January 2016 at 11:27 am

That sounds like the perfect day. I’d love to visit Glastonbury, maybe I should join you next time! x

• Reply Laura 12th January 2016 at 8:09 pm

Really good ideas, that a lot of us could do with as we get back into the daily grind after Christmas. My aim is not to overload the new years resolutions… My dry January has taken second place to my other resolutions!

Reply Candy Pop 13th January 2016 at 11:28 am

Thanks Laura, not too many new year’s resolutions sounds like a wise idea. x

• Reply laurasidestreet 12th January 2016 at 11:19 pm

I totally agree with all of these things – this January I am trying to take things a lot slower, be kinder and eat better food. I also need to work on getting more sleep and fresh air – I know how beneficial these are to a person. Hoping you have a fantastic 2016

Laura x

Reply Candy Pop 13th January 2016 at 11:30 am

Thank you, they all sound great. I hope your 2016 is shaping up beautifully! x

• Reply KatGotTheCream (@KatGotTheCream) 13th January 2016 at 6:02 pm

Oh the daffodils and crocuses!!!! I can’t wait to see them again. Actually snowdrops are pretty sweet too and they are around and about now if you look for them too. Great list, getting off the internet is a good one (if a little ironic) πŸ™‚ xx

Reply Candy Pop 13th January 2016 at 7:01 pm

Thanks Kat – how could I forget the pretty snowdrops? Maybe catch up with your favourite blogs and then get off the internet! πŸ˜‰ x

• Reply Gaia 15th January 2016 at 4:33 pm

Love this Clare! I will share on my fb page, now I know I’m not alone in feeling not motivated in january! :-)))

Reply Candy Pop 15th January 2016 at 4:57 pm