Interiors My Home Simple Living

How to Declutter Your Kitchen in 5 Easy Steps

26th January 2016

Declutter Your Kitchen

LESS STUFF / MORE FREEDOM

A clutter-free kitchen means less time searching for things or tidying up, it also looks clean, calm and spacious. Words I like to associate with somewhere I’m preparing food. The kitchen in my previous home was full of vintage collectables and although I enjoyed being surrounded by cute things, it was a nightmare to cook in and to keep clean!

Nowadays my kitchen is simple, minimal and a joy to cook in. So today I’m sharing five easy steps for tackling a cluttered kitchen. Before you start I would suggest clearing your surfaces and having some boxes and bin bags to hand. You may wish to label the boxes/bags: rubbish, donate and sell. And if your kitchen is extremely cluttered I’d advise you to spread the task over a few days. It will be worth the effort, trust me!

1. Food

Take all the food out of your cupboards and wipe down the insides. Replace everything in an organised way, removing the out of date items and anything you no longer use. I recommend repeating this exercise with your fridge and freezer.

2. Mugs, glasses, plates, bowls, knives, forks, spoons etc.

Once again remove everything. Consider the size of your family and how many people you entertain at any given time and use this number as a guide. I have between six and eight of each item and if I ever require more I would simply borrow them.

3. Pots, pans, cooking utensils, roasting tins etc.

Remove duplicates and the things you haven’t used in the last year. When I tipped everything onto my worktop I noticed I had two tin openers, three bottle openers, two ladles, seven roasting tins and so on. Once I’d disposed of the excess I found everything had a place and was easy to locate.

4. Kitchen appliances

Collect together the unused gadgets, unwanted Christmas gifts, random things you thought were a good idea etc. If you don’t use them now the chances are you never will so kindly bid them farewell.

5. Final touches

Clear everything off your worktops and simply display the items you regularly use. For me, it’s a kettle, tea and coffee, a toaster, chopping board and a radio. The only other things I have on display are herbs and houseplants. With all the excess clutter gone there should be a little more storage space in your cupboards for anything that needs hiding away.

Declutter Your Kitchen

MINT SMEG

After 11 happy years with a pink Smeg fridge, I’m completely thrilled with my new addition. My pink Smeg ended up living in three properties and so it took a while to decide on a new colour. I figured mint is fresh, classic, cheerful and fairly grown-up, after all, it could potentially take me into my fifties!

My passion for Smeg began when I worked at Selfridges and one of the window displays consisted of a row of pastel fridges. It was love at first sight and I promised myself I’d have one when I bought my first home. Back then I had to wait weeks for my order and so I was pleased to have my new addition within three days and just before Christmas. Thank you, AO for the excellent service.

If you’re planning a kitchen declutter I wish you the best of luck! Further posts on decluttering, simple living and minimalism.

Declutter Your KitchenDeclutter Your Kitchen
Declutter Your Kitchen

Follow on Bloglovin’ | Join the mailing list

• Reply Janet Foot 26th January 2016 at 8:42 am

Love the mint SMEG! Kitchen de-clutter scheduled for weekend. Can recommend a good oven cleaner should you ever want one. He’s excellent. Janet

Reply Candy Pop 26th January 2016 at 8:45 am

Thank you Janet and yes I may have to take his details. Good luck with the declutter! x

• Reply Katie B 26th January 2016 at 9:01 am

Wow, what a gorgeous kitchen! That fridge would just make me smile everyday! I did a similar de clutter last week, was good to get the cupboards back in order and stop worrying about opening the doors and being hit by falling missiles! January has been pretty productive on the clutter, I’m taking a week off work soon to attack the attic and garage – this is the year to clear!!! Katie xx

Reply Candy Pop 26th January 2016 at 10:36 am

Thanks Katie. My kitchen was here when I moved in so I can’t really take any of the credit, it was one of the reasons I chose the apartment and after 2 home renovations I didn’t fancy going through it again! Well done with the decluttering and good luck with the attic and garage! x

• Reply sarah Jane 26th January 2016 at 10:30 am

I have an ongoing internal conflict between wanting my home to be full of all my kitsch tat and wanting it to be completely clear and spacious. I never really make up my mind so it usually ends up treading a line somewhere between the two. Having said that, you’re never too old for a pink fridge or a giant pink cat on the wall or pink anything.

Reply Candy Pop 26th January 2016 at 10:47 am

Thanks Sarah. This was exactly my conflict when I collected. The thing is I love stuff but I don’t like to be surrounded by too many things, and I ended up spending too much time moving things around and dusting. I do still have a giant pink cat on my wall! x

• Reply Emmaly Knecht 26th January 2016 at 5:13 pm

Love the mint fridge!!! And i recently did a reorganizing/ de-cluttering last week and its amazing how different your energy feels.

Reply Candy Pop 26th January 2016 at 5:17 pm

Thank you. It makes such a difference doesn’t it? x

• Reply Matt B 26th January 2016 at 6:42 pm

Good work. Cooking with space is the one. 🙂 #tbh

Reply Candy Pop 26th January 2016 at 8:44 pm

Thanks Matt! See you soon. x

• Reply Emma 27th January 2016 at 8:23 am

I cleaned out the fridge tonight. I’m slowing working my way through living with less. I found it hard at first but it’s been a slow transition over a year.

I’m finding living in such a small space easier now and loving the flat more now than I had previously. Getting ready for work is easier in the mornings now I’ve decluttered the wardrobe. The flat doesn’t take as long to clean and putting things away is easier as everything has a home.

I’ve still got more stuff to do but my goal is when we move into our house when it’s built, I’m only taking what we need and what I really want.

I still have sentimental things but I have a lot more perspective now on what’s sentimental.

After following your blog for many years it was quite a shock when I saw the change but as I get older now and life gets more complicated I have been able to appreciate the benefits.

Reply Candy Pop 29th January 2016 at 5:03 pm

Thank you Emma. It sounds like you’re doing an amazing job especially if it’s making your life easier. I think as we get older our tastes change and we just crave a simple, easy life – well I do anyway! x

• Reply Diane ~ CraveCute 27th January 2016 at 5:54 pm

Hello CP your post is such an inspiration and the kitchen so neat and tidy! I wish I could declutter and I do try, I really do! I was chuckling when I read number 3. pots, pans etc… When I open that cabinet the muffin tins come tumbling out sending my kitty Guy scurrying away! Some day I will pare down my clutter, I fear I am a hoarder at heart!

Reply Candy Pop 29th January 2016 at 5:07 pm

Thank you so much Diane. I chuckled over your cascading muffin tins! I think we’re all hoarders at heart, there are many things I don’t really need yet I’ll never be able to part with them. x

• Reply Eva 28th January 2016 at 10:33 am

I loved your old kitchen but I must recognize that new one is more useful. It must be easier for you cook or find something and in the other way is more relaxing! I have to do the same thing! xx

Reply Candy Pop 29th January 2016 at 5:08 pm

Thank you Eva for stopping by, I hope you have a great weekend. x

• Reply M&MFASHIONBITES 30th January 2016 at 8:55 pm

Like the first photo 🙂
    Maria V.

Reply Candy Pop 11th February 2016 at 1:19 pm

Thank you. x

• Reply islandliving365 1st February 2016 at 9:03 pm

I need to clean out my kitchen so it is like yours, you have a lovely kitchen 🙂 And I love your fridge!

Reply Candy Pop 2nd February 2016 at 11:23 am

Thank you for your kind comment. x

• Reply Lucile 3rd February 2016 at 3:00 pm

Hello Natasha, I so love this post, I’m dreaming of a clean, relaxing space but my flat is so small… I have my kitchen and my living room in the same room, so when I relax on the couch, I enjoy the view of my kitchen utensils and my splendid water tank. Keeping the rest of the room organized and decluttered certainly helps! I just bought new shelves to put my tv on (instead of a too busy tv furniture) and other ones to put succulents on display. My next purchase would be a SMEG fridge (the one with just one door) but I’ve read so many bad reviews that it leaks, does not preserve vegetables well, the door doesn’t close properly… it concerns me, I don’t want to invest that much money if the fridge is pretty but of poor quality. Any advices?

Reply Candy Pop 3rd February 2016 at 3:33 pm

Thank you Lucile, your shelves sound great. I had my previous Smeg for 11 years and this one for 3 months and I haven’t had any problems with either. x

• Reply Julia Spicer 4th February 2016 at 9:09 am

Hi. I don’t even have my toaster out since discovering that my new grill was more effective! Also just need to let you know that you may not necessarily be particularly grown up once you reach your fifties 😉

Reply Candy Pop 4th February 2016 at 9:31 am