Creativity Personal Development Self-Care

10 Valuable Life Lessons Learnt From Working Freelance

12th February 2016

10 Valuable Life Lessons Learnt From Working Freelance | candypop.uk.com

VALUABLE LIFE LESSONS

Having worked full-time and as part of a team for 20 years going freelance has been a huge lifestyle change. I’ve missed the routine, daily banter and having colleagues to share ideas with. That said I’ve found new ways to gain strength and I’m slowly building up a support network of fellow bloggers and freelancers. I’ve also offered to do some voluntary work at a local charityย to help keep me grounded!

I put a lot of pressure on myself and this makes me a tough person to work for. And after one or two unproductive days, I thought I’d draft some mantras for when I’m struggling to see the wood for the trees. So here are a few things I’ll be reminding myself when things don’t fall neatly into place.

1. Nothing you do is a waste of time, you can take something from everything, even failure.

2. Life is not a race so go at your own pace.

3. You don’t have to achieve something big every day.

4. Always work on one task at a time, close additional browser tabs including Facebook!

5. If things aren’t working stop and take a break or go for a walk.

6. Don’t be hard on yourself you’re doing the best you can.

7. Focus what you’ve achieved not what you haven’t.

8. Don’t compare yourself to others nothing is ever as it seems.

9. It’s easier to try new things in life than to regret.

10. Be present, enjoy the moment and breathe.

Are there any inspirational quotes or mantras that you like to live by?

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a gorgeous day!

10 Valuable Life Lessons Learnt From Working Freelance | candypop.uk.com
10 Valuable Life Lessons Learnt From Working Freelance | candypop.uk.com
10 Valuable Life Lessons Learnt From Working Freelance | candypop.uk.com
10 Valuable Life Lessons Learnt From Working Freelance | candypop.uk.com
10 Valuable Life Lessons Learnt From Working Freelance | candypop.uk.com

Follow on Bloglovinโ€™ย | Joinย the mailing list

• Reply Christina @ Ladybug Home 12th February 2016 at 9:15 am

Love all your mantras. As a SAHM trying to work from home, I will try to remember your mantras on those days I am struggling to accomplish my goals. Thank you

Reply Candy Pop 12th February 2016 at 10:20 am

Thanks Christina for stopping by!

• Reply fritha 12th February 2016 at 10:37 am

oh my gosh closing FB tab is something I really need to do, so distracting! And the not comparing yourself, it’s so easy to do especially if you are feeling tired or frustrated! btw I am SO jealous of your purse! x

Reply Candy Pop 12th February 2016 at 3:11 pm

Thanks Fritha, it’s so easy to get swept away by social media!

• Reply Sue 12th February 2016 at 11:06 am

Oh these are good’uns. I’m guilty of many of the same little things. Thanks for sharing- nice to know I’m not the only one feeling like this sometimes. I’d add something like “be true to yourself, be yourself” don’t try and be like someone else. Being different or doing things your way is good!

Reply Candy Pop 12th February 2016 at 3:12 pm

Thanks Sue. That’s a good one, I also like ‘be your own kind of beautiful.’

• Reply Jen Stanbrook 12th February 2016 at 11:07 am

Great tips to follow here, definitely so easy to get distracted, and so hard to not compare yourself to others in this mad blogging world. x

Reply Candy Pop 12th February 2016 at 3:13 pm

Thanks Jen, it sure is a mad world!

• Reply melwiggins 12th February 2016 at 3:14 pm

Great advice – especially the one about taking a break if things aren’t working out. I always forget to do that but it really does work! x

Reply Candy Pop 12th February 2016 at 3:21 pm

Thanks Mel. Exactly, never underestimate a break or a walk around the block!

• Reply Alice 12th February 2016 at 4:15 pm

This is such fantastic advice! I find my work goes in peaks and troughs – sometimes I’m super busy and productive and other days I’m just a bit… blah. I try to give myself a break on the blah days and not get too guilty when I stop for an hour to paint my nails and watch a bit of Sex and the City. It’s hard though! x

Reply Candy Pop 12th February 2016 at 4:33 pm

Thanks so much Alice. I need to learn that it’s ok to have a rest day when I’m not feeling particularly creative. Nails and Sex and the City sound perfect to me!

• Reply Heather 12th February 2016 at 4:25 pm

Such brilliant tips. I was nodding along to all of them. I used to go for a walk every lunchtime but I’ve fallen out of the habit of taking a break at all, let alone getting out of the house. Something I need to work on I think!

Reply Candy Pop 12th February 2016 at 4:35 pm

Thank you Heather. I’m trying to fit in plenty of walks, sunlight and fresh air make such a difference. But you’re right, it’s hard when you’re busy and have a looming deadline!

• Reply Eva 12th February 2016 at 4:46 pm

I like all your life lessons, specially 1, 7 and 8. Your photos are gorgeous. Love your boden shoes, Orla Kiely and Rifle paper co stationary. Here is so difficult get this brands! Have a lovely weekend Natasha ! x

Reply Candy Pop 12th February 2016 at 5:09 pm

Thanks so much Eva, you’ll have to pop over to London for some shopping! Have a great weekend.

• Reply Emmaly Knecht 12th February 2016 at 5:32 pm

Right now, for me, its “just keep moving forward.”

Reply Candy Pop 13th February 2016 at 8:05 am

That sounds good to me!

• Reply Paula | The LDN Diaries 13th February 2016 at 2:01 pm

Lovely post! No.5 is key for me x

The LDN Diaries

Reply Candy Pop 15th February 2016 at 6:12 pm

Thank you Paula!

• Reply florenceandmary 17th February 2016 at 1:28 pm

It’s so wonderful to see what you’ve achieved.

Victoria

Reply Candy Pop 17th February 2016 at 4:46 pm

Thanks so much Victoria. Have a great day!

• Reply Polly 1st March 2016 at 8:55 pm

Oh these are perfect. I should print them off and put then in my office…esp need to remember number 4!!

Reply Candy Pop 1st March 2016 at 9:48 pm

Thank you Polly for your kind comment.