Creativity Personal Development Self-Care Simple Living

The Benefits of Internet-Free Days

26th February 2016

Sponsored post

The Benefits of Internet-Free Days | candypop.uk.com

THE FREEDOM OF SWITCHING OFF

Being a blogger and sharing the benefits of internet-free days may seem a little crazy but I really do champion the power of switching off. After all, too much of anything is never a good thing. Unless it’s chocolate and even that’s not advised!

So, after spending a few days in Dorset and being offline, I thought I’d share a few of the positives I found from switching off. I call it the joy of missing out because taking time off enables us to be fully present in this amazing world.

The Benefits of Internet-Free Days | candypop.uk.com

MORE TIME

I sometimes grab my iPad to quickly check something and two hours later I’m still there. Know the feeling? The internet seems to eat time and when we switch off we can claim it back. Having a few internet-free days helps me to get stuff done and the slower pace makes me feel calm and rested. I also find when I’ve taken time-out I’m less likely to check my phone the following day. It serves as a reminder that the real world is worth my full attention.

NURTURE RELATIONSHIPS

Sometimes we need to disconnect to reconnect with the people and the world around us. The internet is a fantastic place to meet like-minded folk but nothing beats spending time with the people who make us happy. When I’m with family and friends I put my phone away, after all, nothing on the internet is more important than the person or people I’m with.

DE-STRESS AND REFOCUS

There are many amazing benefits to being online. However, too much screen time and skipping and scrolling from one thing to the next can make us feel busy and restless. Editing out the noise by taking a digital detox helps us to relax, recharge, reset and refocus. And less internet means less comparison or desire to keep up with the Joneses, which is always a good thing!

MOTIVATION AND CREATIVITY

Switching off is empowering because it enables us to look inward at what we want from life. I always feel energised and motivated when I take time off and it helps me to find balance and see the bigger picture. The phrase creation over consumption springs to mind because I certainly find my creativity flows when I switch off. I struggle to develop ideas if I’m drowning in a sea of noise and I’d rather my inspiration came from my relationship with the real world than the online one.

Further reading: 6 ways to spend less time online and how to be present and live in the moment.

The Benefits of Internet-Free Days | candypop.uk.com

4K PHOTO

These images are stills from a 4k film I shot in sunny Bournemouth. I took my life into my own hands when I walked onto the beach clutching a piece of bread. I’ve no idea how seagulls can spot food at such great distance! Anyway, it was fun and I think they enjoyed it too!

You can read more about 4k photography here and on my previous posts where I captured my niece blowing bubbles, falling pebbles, a fast-moving weir and a stunt strawberry.

These images are available as prints, postcards, greeting cards, phone cases, tote bags and many other products in my online shop. I hope you have a great week!

The Benefits of Internet-Free Days | candypop.uk.com

This post is a sponsored collaboration with Panasonic. All views are my own.

Follow on Bloglovin’ | Join the mailing list

• Reply florenceandmary 26th February 2016 at 11:14 am

It’s probably quite rare that I have an internet free day but there are occasions when I’ve been less likely to check emails or refresh instagram and there is something rather freeing about it.

Have a wonderful weekend,

Reply Candy Pop 26th February 2016 at 11:46 am

Thanks Victoria, have a great weekend!

• Reply Old Fashioned Susie (@OldFashionedSus) 26th February 2016 at 1:24 pm

Totally agree about this, you can get SO MUCH done… Although I find its easier if your other half also wants to switch off!

Reply Candy Pop 26th February 2016 at 2:26 pm

Thanks Susie, that’s very true!

• Reply Emmaly Knecht 26th February 2016 at 4:56 pm

I totally agree with this post. Every weekend i take my dog on a 4 mile walk and i don’t look at my phone for the two blissful hours. Having that time gives me the ability to take in live and enjoy the moment. As beneficial as the internet is, its important to have moments without it.

Reply Candy Pop 26th February 2016 at 6:04 pm

That sounds lovely and I think we enjoy the internet more when we have time away. Have a great weekend.

• Reply fritha 28th February 2016 at 10:41 am

I accidentally had three days internet (and phone!) free when we went to festival last year and it was wonderful! Even if I felt tempted to check in I couldn’t and because I didn’t know it would happen it was kind of like ‘oh well! What can I do’ It reminded me I need to switch off and log out from time to time! x

Reply Candy Pop 28th February 2016 at 4:34 pm

That sounds bliss, it was like that for much of my holiday in Cornwall last year. Freedom!

• Reply laurasidestreet 28th February 2016 at 2:34 pm

I do think it’s really important to have internet-free days and I often feel much “lighter” and able to focus on things at hand and far more mindful – I need to make time to do it more often

Laura x

Reply Candy Pop 28th February 2016 at 4:35 pm

Thanks Laura, that’s so true and lighter is a good feeling!

• Reply Slummy single mummy 28th February 2016 at 8:06 pm

It doesn’t seem crazy to me at all to advocate Internet free days as a blogger – I always switch off from work and social media in the evenings and often for whole weekends too. It’s ace!

Reply Candy Pop 28th February 2016 at 8:47 pm

That sounds wonderful.. I should take a leaf out of your book, I only manage it every now and then!

• Reply melwiggins 28th February 2016 at 8:11 pm

A great reminder. I am trying to set boundaries in different ways too – we have a definite no devices at the table rule for all meal times and I would like to get to the point where I leave my phone out of reach for certain periods of the day. I think self-awareness is key – do you feel owned by it? Do you feel like you’re not listening to the people in front of you properly because of it? Then it’s time to cool off. x

Reply Candy Pop 28th February 2016 at 8:50 pm

Thanks Mel. They sound like great boundaries. I often put my iPhone and iPad in the office and close the door. It’s the naughty step for technology!

• Reply Eva 28th February 2016 at 10:02 pm

I totally agree with this post ! The real freedom starts when we are able to SWITCHING OFF for some days ! And we need this freedom sometimes. I’m glad you don’t disconnecting your camera because your pictures are stunning ! x

Reply Candy Pop 29th February 2016 at 11:00 am

Thanks so much Eva, I hope you have a wonderful week.

• Reply Lottie | Oyster & Pearl 29th February 2016 at 2:03 pm

I find it so hard to switch off! But I can see my kids being all obsessed with devices and it really bothers me, so I’m being totally hypocritical. Gonna give it a go though x

Reply Candy Pop 29th February 2016 at 4:46 pm

I never realise how addicted I am until I switch off!

• Reply Alice 29th February 2016 at 2:49 pm

I’m determined to try and switch off more. I spend far too much time online and am often not present when I’m in a room – I’d love to change this! I’ve made steps to switch off in the evenings when I’m at home and enjoy a book or a film but I’d love to be at the point where I’m doing it for whole days.

Reply Candy Pop 29th February 2016 at 4:48 pm

Thanks Alice. It sounds like you’re doing really well, nothing like a book or a film to help switch off and unwind. 🙂

• Reply Polly Davies 3rd March 2016 at 2:51 pm

Yes – I LOVE internet free days. I think esp when you work online, having days completely switched off are an essential to recharge your batteries

Reply Candy Pop 4th March 2016 at 7:10 am

Thanks Polly. They certainly are essential!

• Reply Rose 5th March 2016 at 7:47 am

I definitely need to work more Internet days into my schedule. It’s so hard when you’re self employed – I have massive fear of missing out. Must try harder to put the laptop down and turn the phone off too!

Reply Candy Pop 5th March 2016 at 11:25 am

I know the feeling. It’s hard to switch off when you work freelance but it’s really worth the effort. Have a great day!