Creativity Self-Care Simple Living

A Simple Life Edit and Some Self-Care

4th March 2016

A Simple Life Edit and Some Self-Care | candypop.uk.com

MIND + BODY + SOUL

Every now and then I take a step back to address all areas of life. This usually happens if I feel stressed or run-down because it means I’ve taken on too much. So today I’m sharing the things I do to find balance, keeping the scales from tipping too far in one direction. I call it my simple life edit.

RELATIONSHIPS

I believe the most important thing in life is the people we share it with. It’s, therefore, wise to spend it with those who make us happy! If I haven’t caught up with my family or friends in a while I feel like there’s a piece missing, so I always make space for them.

Throughout our lives, people come and go and it’s normal to let go of the relationships we’ve outgrown. Taking the time to consider who we want in our lives is of enormous value. And making time for family and friends is a great source of comfort and can boost our general well-being.

A Simple Life Edit and Some Self-Care | candypop.uk.com

REST, RELAXATION & SPACE

I’m a creature of habit and when I feel stressed it’s usually because my routine has broken down. To get things back on track I make time to relax, ensure I’m practicing daily meditation, edit out the things I don’t need and set regular times to get up and go to bed. These four things completely transform my outlook helping me to focus. It’s good to look at the structure of each day and make sure you’re happy with the balance of work and relaxation. Downtime prepares us for the busy and challenging times.

HOME

Your environment can affect how you feel so it’s worth taking the time to create a space you can unwind and feel safe in. Whether it’s family photographs, houseplants or vintage collectables, it’s good to surround yourself with the things that bring you joy.

When I’m busy my home is often neglected and so I find having a clean and declutter can bring back the calmness and order. As a minimalist, I champion the benefits of living with less and I believe little is needed to create a happy life.

A Simple Life Edit and Some Self-Care | candypop.uk.com

EXCERCISE

My regular exercise routine suffers when I’m busy and getting back into it can be a challenge. After a break, going to the gym can feel like putting on a wet swimming costume, so I usually start with some brisk walks and slowly build up from there. The key is to be kind to yourself, do what you love and aim for little and often.

NUTRITION

When I feel run-down I take time to remind myself of the various foods I should be eating to maintain a balanced diet. I also do some meal planning and fill the cupboards with healthy snacks to help me stay on track. I recently read that a lot of our snacking is down to boredom rather than hunger, so I’ve been trying to drink herbal tea and do some stretches (although I’m more David Brent than Ella Woodward!) when I’m craving something sweet in the afternoon. It’s good to take a moment to consider the food we eat.

A Simple Life Edit and Some Self-Care | candypop.uk.com

WORK

Work is an important element because it improves self-worth and self-esteem and gives us feelings of belonging. Before working freelance, I worked as an educational fundraiser for the University of Oxford. When I left I felt I was no longer contributing. Now I do voluntary work which makes a huge difference to how I feel. What motivates us changes throughout our lives and differs from person to person. Always follow your heart and intuition.

FUN

Create space for the things you love and the stuff that makes you happy and edit out the rest. I find it beneficial to occasionally list my ten passions because it helps me to focus on what brings me the greatest joy. I’ve also started writing down the things I’m grateful for – keeping a gratitude diary lifts my spirits!

And finally, fill your life with laughter. Just as I did when I was drenched by a wave – this is why I’ll never make it as a fashion blogger!

A Simple Life Edit and Some Self-Care | candypop.uk.com

These photographs were taken with my Lumix GH4 and the moving images are stills from a 4k film. You can read more about 4k photography here and on my previous posts where I captured flying seagulls, my niece blowing bubbles, falling pebbles, a fast-moving weir and a stunt strawberry. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Wellies 1 (Copy)
Wellies 2 (Copy)
Wellies 3 (Copy)
Wellies 4 (Copy)
Wellies 5 (Copy)
Wellies 6 (Copy)
Wellies 7 (Copy)
Wellies 8 (Copy)
Wellies 9 - selected image (Copy)
Wellies 10 (Copy)

This post is in collaboration with Panasonic.

Follow on Bloglovin’ | Join the mailing list

• Reply florenceandmary 4th March 2016 at 2:26 pm

Decluttering and paring back my living room at home has made such a difference to me. Whilst I always loved my flat as it’s little sanctuary it’s so much nicer now I’ve simplified my main living space.

Have a lovely weekend,

Reply Candy Pop 4th March 2016 at 5:58 pm

It sounds lovely and you’re right it really does make such a difference. Have a fabulous weekend!

• Reply Slummy single mummy 4th March 2016 at 3:33 pm

I totally get the decluttering one too. Whenever I feel a bit stressed, I find decluttering really helps to give me back that feeling of control. I get the particular urge to do it when we come back from holiday and I see how much STUFF is everywhere at home in comparison.

Reply Candy Pop 4th March 2016 at 6:02 pm

I agree with every word!

• Reply Emmaly Knecht 4th March 2016 at 5:08 pm

Its amazing how different you feel when you exercise and eat right. When i haven’t move around enough during the week my weekends are less productive. Just taking a walk puts me in better spirits. Great post!!

Reply Candy Pop 4th March 2016 at 6:05 pm

Thank you. I agree exercise generates energy, I also find it calms me after a stressful day.

• Reply Molly 6th March 2016 at 8:52 pm

Lovely photos! I can relate to much of what you write here. Unfortunately, with two small children I’m finding it impossible to get the right balance and regularly miss exercise or find myself juggling work and kids like a mad person. I think stress is my current automatic setting at the moment!

Reply Candy Pop 6th March 2016 at 9:06 pm

Thank you Molly. My sister has two children under five so I can totally sympathise. I hope you had a gorgeous Mother’s Day and weekend.

• Reply Polly Davies 6th March 2016 at 9:54 pm

beautiful photos…. decluttering totally makes me feel better, trying hard to find time to exercise and the motivation to eat better right now to!

Reply Candy Pop 7th March 2016 at 12:59 pm

Thanks Polly. It’s tough, I go a few days eating well and that makes me feel I can have a few days of treats! I’m hoping it will be easier when the weather improves.

• Reply KatGotTheCream (@KatGotTheCream) 7th March 2016 at 6:23 pm

This is great advice and I feel very like you if my eating/exercise/work/life balance goes out of kilter. I haven’t run in a while and I’m noticing the subtle difference to my mood/wellbeing xx

Reply Candy Pop 7th March 2016 at 7:43 pm

Thank you Kathryn. If you weren’t so far away we could go running together! 🙂

• Reply mummydaddyme 8th March 2016 at 4:29 pm

Beautiful photos and I completely get the decluttering. I am very minimalist in my home (even with two small children!) and I love to make things as clutter free as possible. My husband finds it odd, but I just feel so much happier if everything is in order. x

Reply Candy Pop 9th March 2016 at 9:03 am

Thank you. Your style reminds me of the way I like to live: bright, white and minimal! Have a lovely day.

• Reply Eva 10th March 2016 at 4:03 pm

I like this kind of posts. Like your advices. I’m agree with everything, principally with friendships ! Live is short why spend time with people that doesn’t love us…Have a lovely weekend ! x

Reply Candy Pop 11th March 2016 at 8:17 am

Thank you Eva and that’s so true. I hope you have a great weekend.

• Reply laurasidestreet 10th March 2016 at 11:27 pm

These are some fantastic tips and I really feel that I need a bit of an overhaul since the baby arrive a year ago, I have felt stress and lack of sleep creep into our home and everything is alit on top of each other – I really need to find time to meditate and care for myself a little more. Lovely post

Laura x

Reply Candy Pop 11th March 2016 at 8:19 am

Thanks Laura. I am sorry to hear about your recent stress and I hope you find a little time for some self-care. Have a lovely weekend. 🙂