Self-Care Simple Living

A Simpe Life Edit and Some Self-Care

4th March 2016

self-care

MIND + BODY + SOUL

Every now and then I take a step back to look at all areas of my life. To be honest this usually happens when I feel stressed or run-down because it alerts me to the fact that I’ve probably taken on too much. So today I’m sharing the things I look at when I’m forced to stop. Life is all about balance and it’s good to give a little time and attention to all the different elements. I call it my simple life edit.

RELATIONSHIPS

I believe the most important thing in life is the people we share it with therefore it’s best to spend it with those who make us feel happy! If I haven’t caught up with my family or friends in a while I feel like there’s a piece missing and so I always make space for them. Throughout our lives, people and friendships come and go and it’s normal to let go of the relationships we’ve outgrown. Taking time to consider who we want in our lives is of enormous value. And making time for family and friends is a great source of comfort and strength and can boost our self-confidence and general well-being.

self-care

REST, RELAXATION & SPACE

I’m a creature of habit and when I feel stressed it’s usually because my routine has broken down. To get things back on track I make time to relax, ensure I’m practicing daily meditation, edit out the things I don’t need in my life and set regular times to get up and go to bed. These four things completely transform my outlook and help me to focus. It’s good to look at the structure of each day and make sure you’re happy with the balance of work and relaxation. Space and time to switch off prepare us for the busy and more challenging times.

HOME

Your environment can affect how you feel therefore it’s worth taking the time to create a space you can unwind and feel safe in. Whether it’s family photographs, houseplants or vintage collectables it’s great to surround yourself with the things that bring you joy. When I’m busy my home is often neglected and so I find having a clean and declutter can bring calmness and order. As a minimalist, I champion the benefits of living with less and I believe little is needed to build and live a happy life.

self-care

EXCERCISE

My regular exercise routine suffers when I’m busy and then I find getting back into it a challenge. After a break, going to the gym can feel a bit like putting on a wet swimming costume so I usually start with some brisk walks and slowly build up from there. The key is to be kind to yourself, do what you love and don’t worry about what everyone else is doing.

NUTRITION

I’m lazy when it comes to food, hello pizza! When I feel run-down I take a little time to remind myself of the various foods I should be eating to maintain a balanced diet. I also do some meal planning and fill the cupboards with healthy snacks to help me stay on track. I recently read that a lot of our snacking is down to boredom rather than hunger and so I’ve been trying to drink herbal tea and do some stretches (although I’m more David Brent than Ella Woodward) when I’m craving something sweet in the afternoon. It’s good to take a moment to think about the food we eat because it can really boost our energy levels and how we feel.

self-care

WORK

Work is an important element because it improves self-worth and self-esteem and gives feelings of belonging. Before working freelance I worked as an educational fundraiser for the University of Oxford and when I left I felt I was no longer contributing. Now I do voluntary work and it makes a huge difference to how I feel. What motivates us changes throughout our lives and differs from person to person. When I graduated I wanted the fanciest job title and the biggest salary – things couldn’t be any more different today! It’s good to get the balance right to enable you to give your best each day and most of all enjoy it!

FUN

Make space for the things you love and the stuff that makes you happy and edit out the rest. I find it beneficial to occasionally list my ten passions because it helps me to focus on what brings me the greatest joy. I’ve also started thinking about the things I appreciate or am grateful for at the end of each day. It’s amazing how sometimes it’s simply seeing the first signs of spring or enjoying a relaxing bubble bath.

And finally, fill your life with laughter just as I did when I was drenched by a wave. This is why I’ll never make it as a fashion blogger!

self-care

These photographs were taken with my Lumix GH4 and the moving images are stills from a 4k film. You can read more about 4k photography here and on my previous posts where I captured flying seagulls, my niece blowing bubbles, falling pebbles, a fast moving weir and a stunt strawberry. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Follow Candy Pop on Bloglovin’.

This post is in collaboration with Panasonic.

• Reply florenceandmary 4th March 2016 at 2:26 pm

Decluttering and paring back my living room at home has made such a difference to me. Whilst I always loved my flat as it’s little sanctuary it’s so much nicer now I’ve simplified my main living space.

Have a lovely weekend,

Reply Candy Pop 4th March 2016 at 5:58 pm

It sounds lovely and you’re right it really does make such a difference. Have a fabulous weekend!

• Reply Slummy single mummy 4th March 2016 at 3:33 pm

I totally get the decluttering one too. Whenever I feel a bit stressed, I find decluttering really helps to give me back that feeling of control. I get the particular urge to do it when we come back from holiday and I see how much STUFF is everywhere at home in comparison.

Reply Candy Pop 4th March 2016 at 6:02 pm

I agree with every word!

• Reply Emmaly Knecht 4th March 2016 at 5:08 pm

Its amazing how different you feel when you exercise and eat right. When i haven’t move around enough during the week my weekends are less productive. Just taking a walk puts me in better spirits. Great post!!

Reply Candy Pop 4th March 2016 at 6:05 pm

Thank you. I agree exercise generates energy, I also find it calms me after a stressful day.

• Reply Molly 6th March 2016 at 8:52 pm

Lovely photos! I can relate to much of what you write here. Unfortunately, with two small children I’m finding it impossible to get the right balance and regularly miss exercise or find myself juggling work and kids like a mad person. I think stress is my current automatic setting at the moment!

Reply Candy Pop 6th March 2016 at 9:06 pm

Thank you Molly. My sister has two children under five so I can totally sympathise. I hope you had a gorgeous Mother’s Day and weekend.

• Reply Polly Davies 6th March 2016 at 9:54 pm

beautiful photos…. decluttering totally makes me feel better, trying hard to find time to exercise and the motivation to eat better right now to!

Reply Candy Pop 7th March 2016 at 12:59 pm

Thanks Polly. It’s tough, I go a few days eating well and that makes me feel I can have a few days of treats! I’m hoping it will be easier when the weather improves.

• Reply KatGotTheCream (@KatGotTheCream) 7th March 2016 at 6:23 pm

This is great advice and I feel very like you if my eating/exercise/work/life balance goes out of kilter. I haven’t run in a while and I’m noticing the subtle difference to my mood/wellbeing xx

Reply Candy Pop 7th March 2016 at 7:43 pm

Thank you Kathryn. If you weren’t so far away we could go running together! 🙂

• Reply mummydaddyme 8th March 2016 at 4:29 pm

Beautiful photos and I completely get the decluttering. I am very minimalist in my home (even with two small children!) and I love to make things as clutter free as possible. My husband finds it odd, but I just feel so much happier if everything is in order. x

Reply Candy Pop 9th March 2016 at 9:03 am

Thank you. Your style reminds me of the way I like to live: bright, white and minimal! Have a lovely day.

• Reply Eva 10th March 2016 at 4:03 pm

I like this kind of posts. Like your advices. I’m agree with everything, principally with friendships ! Live is short why spend time with people that doesn’t love us…Have a lovely weekend ! x

Reply Candy Pop 11th March 2016 at 8:17 am

Thank you Eva and that’s so true. I hope you have a great weekend.

• Reply laurasidestreet 10th March 2016 at 11:27 pm

These are some fantastic tips and I really feel that I need a bit of an overhaul since the baby arrive a year ago, I have felt stress and lack of sleep creep into our home and everything is alit on top of each other – I really need to find time to meditate and care for myself a little more. Lovely post

Laura x

Reply Candy Pop 11th March 2016 at 8:19 am

Thanks Laura. I am sorry to hear about your recent stress and I hope you find a little time for some self-care. Have a lovely weekend. 🙂