Self-Care Simple Living

How To Be Mindful In Everyday Life

21st March 2016

How to be mindful

MINDFULNESS

Being present in our lives should be simple but unfortunately, for a lot of us, it’s not always an easy task. Our minds like to be busy and this often means we’re thinking about the past or planning the future and not fully engaging in the here and now. I’ve been practicing daily mindfulness and meditation for over a year and today I’m sharing a few tips that have helped me to be mindful in everyday life.

1. BE PRESENT AND INTENTIONAL

Being fully present helps us to live life to the full. It makes everything we do more enjoyable, even those mundane everyday tasks like folding our clothes or washing the dishes. It’s valuable to bring a little more awareness and intention to the things we do on autopilot, and by approaching them in a more focused way they can become moments of calm. I use activities like walking and travel as reminders to be mindful and they stop me rushing through my day.

2. FOCUS ON ONE TASK AT A TIME

Focusing on one task at a time makes life simpler and easier. And when we fully engage in one activity rather than multi-tasking we’re far more productive. Everyone likes to get stuff done and being mindful can really help us to succeed. I don’t now about you but I love crossing things off my to-do list so single tasking is definitely my preferred way to work!

3. DO LESS BY EDITING OUT THE UNNECESSARY

There are many ways we can simplify our lives, from removing excess clutter to saying no to the things we don’t want to do. When we stop rushing our minds become less busy making it easier to focus on the present moment.

4. PRACTICE MINDFULNESS WHILE YOU WAIT

A great time to practice mindfulness is when you’re not going anywhere. So when you’re in a queue, stuck at a red light or waiting for a bus or train take a moment to look around and become fully aware of where you are and how you feel. Once again it’s accepting these daily activities and using them as moments of calm. Further reading: how to be present and live in the moment.

5. BRING THE WANDERING MIND BACK TO THE PRESENT

The biggest obstacle to being present is thinking about the past or future. If you’re getting caught up in unnecessary thought simply acknowledge it and gently let go by focussing on your breath instead. You may find you are doing this a hundred times a day but the more you practice the easier it becomes. It’s not helpful to think about things in the past we can’t change or worry about something that may never happen, and so it’s a really great habit to get into.

6. DO NOTHING BUT BREATH

Yes really! Even if it’s just five minutes a day it’s good to sit somewhere quiet and focus on your breath. It helps me feel calmer and I also use the time to think about what I’m grateful for in my life right now. Further reading: 6 things I gained from a year of mindfulness and meditation.

My photographs were taken at The Goldfish Bowl in Oxford on Saturday where I thought I’d try capturing the movement of fish using 4k film. Although the photographs look very similar I really enjoyed observing the subtle changes as the fish glided through the water.

If you’re interested in reading more about 4k photography do pop over to Panasonic. Here are a few more posts on Candy Pop: wellies and waves, seagulls in flight, my niece blowing bubbles, falling pebbles, a fast moving weir and a falling strawberry.

I hope you have a great week!

Follow Candy Pop on Bloglovin’.

This post is in collaboration with Panasonic.

• Reply Katie B 21st March 2016 at 1:12 pm

Love this post, it’s a very important message that needs to be heard in this busy modern world! I need to focus on being present and intentional the most, usually my brain is just whirring about the next task or worrying about the what-ifs and buts, so I don’t appreciate what’s in front of my eyes. Thank you for this!

Katie X

Reply Candy Pop 21st March 2016 at 7:55 pm

Thanks Katie, I’m pleased you enjoyed the post! x

• Reply Gill Crawshaw 21st March 2016 at 2:11 pm

This is such a good post! I’m so concious at the moment of the passing of time and this is a really simple reminder, especially as I find it so hard to stay present when I’m tried and fed up. I like the tips around mindfulness and the everyday things like doing the washing – I do so much of this on autopilot and my mind’s constantly racing about all the other things I need to do.

Reply Candy Pop 21st March 2016 at 7:57 pm

Thanks Gill. I used to think I didn’t have time to relax and now I use everyday tasks as moments of calm! x

• Reply Slummy single mummy 21st March 2016 at 2:16 pm

Mindfulness is so important. I try to do it when I’m eating, as I know I have a habit of just eating at the same time as doing something else and not really enjoying it, or even noticing! Being aware of eating will, I’m hoping, make me eat less!

Reply Candy Pop 23rd March 2016 at 8:19 am

Thanks Jo. That sounds like a good idea. x

• Reply Polly Davies 22nd March 2016 at 11:17 am

Do you know I think I need to print this out and pin it where I can see it everyday… just what i needed reminding of right now

Reply Candy Pop 23rd March 2016 at 8:20 am

Thanks Polly, I’m pleased it was useful. x

• Reply Lottie :: Oyster & Pearl 22nd March 2016 at 12:48 pm

These are such good tips Natasha. Thank you x

Reply Candy Pop 23rd March 2016 at 8:20 am

You’re welcome, thanks for stopping by. x

• Reply Alice 22nd March 2016 at 2:02 pm

This is a really great post. I keep meaning to be more mindful but then get too busy to practice it… which I know completely defeats the object of wanting to practice mindfulness in the first place. I’m going to take your advice here and pin it to come back to at a later date x

Reply Candy Pop 23rd March 2016 at 8:23 am

Thank you Alice. I’m pleased you enjoyed the post. x

• Reply Alison, Not Another Mummy Blog 22nd March 2016 at 7:23 pm

Being mindful is something I keep meaning to do more of – like Alice above, I feel like I get too busy to practice it. But it’s something I’m becoming increasingly motivated to do.

Reply Candy Pop 23rd March 2016 at 8:25 am

Thanks Alison. I know what you mean, it’s difficult to even think about being mindful when you’re busy. Have a great day! x

• Reply mummydaddyme 23rd March 2016 at 8:06 pm

These are such great tips, I struggle with this sometimes due to being too busy. No 3 is something I definitely need to do more, I am terrible at saying no. x

Reply Candy Pop 29th March 2016 at 9:46 am

Thank you. It can be so hard to say no. x

• Reply fritha 24th March 2016 at 9:07 am

love this post, I feel like at the moment I don’t have a second to be mindful, which probably means to I need to make time for it even more! I loved that quote about being outside for 20 mins a day and if you’re busy make than an hour, I feel the same way after reading this post. I need to take the time x

Reply Candy Pop 29th March 2016 at 9:47 am

Thanks Fritha, I’m pleased you enjoyed the post. x

• Reply Eva 25th March 2016 at 7:54 am

Modern life is sometimes very hard and we forgot the simple things and the essentiel things. We need some meditation and your advices are great. Thanks for sharing Natasha! x
    Photos are amazing !

Reply Candy Pop 29th March 2016 at 9:47 am

Thanks so much Eva. x

• Reply Adele Jarrett-Kerr 25th March 2016 at 6:18 pm

Thanks for sharing these tips. A lot of this is stuff that I know deep down but really need to take some time to think about because I know I’m losing a lot of time an energy by spreading my attentions at the moment.

Reply Candy Pop 29th March 2016 at 9:47 am