Simple Living

What are Minimalism and Simple Living?

22nd April 2016

Minimalism and Simple Living

CLARITY AND FOCUS

Life happens and with it comes layers and layers of stuff, commitments, routines, habits and before we know it, we can lose sight of who we were and where we started. Minimalism, when applied to a lifestyle, is about stripping back all the stuff and noise so we can focus on who we are and what we truly want from life. It’s not about simply having less but living with the right amount and letting go of everything that doesn’t add value or bring joy. This can include clutter, distractions and in some cases relationships. All the things that can make us feel unnecessarily busy and sometimes overwhelmed or stressed.

There are many different motivations for pursuing a simple life these include a desire to have more time with family and friends, a better work-life balance, to save money, to support the environment, to improve health or simply personal taste. By feeling grateful and content with what we have we can break the trap of wanting more. And by buying less and lowering expenditure the time spent working can sometimes be reduced. This can create a more balanced and healthy lifestyle and free up time to pursue the things we love.

Minimalism and Simple Living

SIMPLIFY

Although minimalism isn’t about simply getting rid of stuff, editing your life laundry is a great place to start. And letting go of the items you no longer love or use is extremely therapeutic. There’s no need to reduce your possessions to a particular number it’s about keeping the things that bring you joy and letting go of the rest. You will almost certainly enjoy the benefits of this process and once you calm your home you’ll undoubtedly want to address the other areas in your life.

If you’re interested in simplifying here are a few things to consider:

1. Do you ever feel busy, stressed or overwhelmed?
2. If so, what or who is making you feel this way?
3. What are your passions and what makes you truly happy?
4. How often are you doing the things that make you feel happy and content?
5. What do you wish you had more time for?
6. How does your home make you feel?
7. What area of your home do you feel most relaxed in?
8. How much time do you spend doing household chores?

Minimalism and Simple Living

FROM COLLECTOR TO MINIMALIST

I live a minimalist lifestyle but this wasn’t always the case. Over 5 years ago I was a hoarder and collector and I lived in a three-bed terrace packed full of retro and vintage collections. It took time to get where I am today but with every item removed I felt a little lighter and freer. I currently work freelance and do a little voluntary work each week, something I didn’t think would be possible. Minimalism has opened many doors and I would have never imagined purging my belongings could have changed my outlook and life in such a positive way.

Further reading on Candy Pop:

10 things I gained when I decluttered my home
My decluttering tips
10 ways I simplified my life
How to declutter your kitchen in 5 easy steps
How Marie Kondo helped me let go of my past
How to simplify your wardrobe in 4 easy steps

Blogs focussing on minimalism and simple living:

Zen Habits
Becoming Minimalist
Be More With Less
The Minimalists
Simple and Minimal

Minimalism and Simple Living

Follow Candy Pop on Bloglovin’ / sign up to the mailing list.

• Reply Adele at Beautiful Tribe 22nd April 2016 at 12:20 pm

Minimalism has the power to impact so many things. I’m on a decluttering drive in my house and though I’m not even nearly where I need to be, already I feel less stressed and it’s easier to keep the house in a fit state, even with two small children running around. Will check out your other posts for tips. x

Reply Candy Pop 22nd April 2016 at 1:07 pm

Thanks Adele. Good luck with your decluttering drive! x

• Reply Slummy single mummy 22nd April 2016 at 12:59 pm

Are all these pictures from your home? They are gorgeous! Exactly how I want my house to look when I grow up 🙂

Reply Candy Pop 22nd April 2016 at 1:08 pm

Thank you. It is my home although I don’t anticipate growing up anytime soon. x

• Reply Hannah Hayes 22nd April 2016 at 1:17 pm

I continue to be inspired by your minimalism! I collect a lot of vintage pieces but I’m actually pretty good at letting stuff go too (not that you can tell from what I put out there on the internet, I’m sure!). If it doesn’t make my heart sing any more, it moves on to its next home. Sometimes I feel really overwhelmed by all my stuff and have a really big purge and I always feel better afterwards!

Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog. I’m trying to slowly ease myself back into the swing of blogging but it seems to have changed so much, even in the relatively small amount of time that I’ve been away from it. I kind of resented social media when it first shifted the community away from blogging, but now that I’m coming back to blogging after actively using social media it seems a little isolated!

Reply Candy Pop 25th April 2016 at 4:03 pm

Thanks Hannah for your kind comment. Purging the stuff that doesn’t make your heart sing sounds like a great way to manage a vintage collection. I wish I’d done that when I was collecting, I couldn’t seem to let anything go! I’m always thrilled to see one of your posts pop up in the Bloglovin’ feed. I hope you have a great week. x

• Reply laura redburn 25th April 2016 at 1:34 pm

i love how you can talk about minimalism without sounding uppity like many others do! also that you’re still a fan of colour. why do so many people think you can’t be a colour loving minimalist?

Reply Candy Pop 25th April 2016 at 4:12 pm

Haha – thanks Laura! Great to see you in Bristol last week, I hope you have a lovely day. x

• Reply fritha 25th April 2016 at 6:51 pm

I feel like I’m constantly on a decluttering mission! It never seems to get to a state of minimalism though (wonder if that’s possible at the moment with two very little children?) I live in hope! x

Reply Candy Pop 25th April 2016 at 7:51 pm

To be honest, I feel like I’m always decluttering, stuff has a habit of accumulating! Have a great week. x

• Reply KatGotTheCream (@KatGotTheCream) 25th April 2016 at 8:18 pm

I’m a bit like Fritha, it feels like we’re constantly decluttering, recycling, sending stuff to charity but I guess that comes with having 3 kids a bit because they grow out of stuff quickly. One day I hope to reach a state of calm!

Reply Candy Pop 26th April 2016 at 12:45 pm

Thanks Kat for stopping by and well done on the decluttering, recycling and charity donations. See you next week. x

• Reply Lottie | Oyster & Pearl 25th April 2016 at 9:01 pm

Very inspired by how you went from clutter to this minimal calm. Need a bit of this in my life too! Lovely to see you last week x

Reply Candy Pop 26th April 2016 at 12:46 pm

Thanks Lottie. It was great to catch up. x

• Reply Eva 25th April 2016 at 9:19 pm

I would like be ready for a simple life but I’m no sure yet ! I feel inspired by your minimal calm and I would like decluttered the whole home ! xx

Reply Candy Pop 26th April 2016 at 12:47 pm

Thanks Eva for your kind comment. I hope you have a great day. x

• Reply Pat 30th April 2016 at 4:02 am

Absolutely
    Makes no sense to work more to buy stuff
    Joy is found in community learning and love

Reply Candy Pop 30th April 2016 at 7:50 am

Thank you Pat. I couldn’t agree more! x

• Reply Nital 18th July 2016 at 6:59 am

I have nearly finished my major declutter and it feels so good. I got rid of so much – photos (made photo books of everything) my artwork (took photos and made a photobook) cds, dvds, books and so much more.

Reply Candy Pop 18th July 2016 at 8:41 pm

It feels so good doesn’t it? Thanks for stopping by! x