Creative Business Creativity Interiors My Home

How to Create a Productive Workspace

24th May 2016

Sponsored post

How To Create A Productive Workspace | candypop.uk.com

A PRODUCTIVE WORKSPACE

If you have an office-based job then you’ll undoubtedly spend much of your week at a desk. With this in mind, it’s good to make your workspace an inspiring and comfortable place to be. One that aids productivity and is kind to your body and mind.

Having spent many years in retail management, I’ve had more than my fair share of small and gloomy basement offices. I pride myself on being able to make the tiniest of broom cupboards – or lightbulb cupboard as was the case at Modern Art Oxford – into a haven of calm. So here are a few of my tips for creating a productive workspace.

How To Create A Productive Workspace | candypop.uk.com
How To Create A Productive Workspace | candypop.uk.com

COMFORT

As a former health and safety manager (I can hear your eyes rolling!), I can thoroughly recommend the importance of good desk ergonomics. It’s worth taking a little time to ensure your desk, chair and screen are at the recommended heights. And if you find you’re suffering from aches and pains, take a moment to stop and consider your set-up and working practice.

LIGHT

Light is important because it stops us feeling sleepy and is kind to our eyes. A desk near a window works well but if this is not possible then investing in a desk lamp is money well spent. My desk is by the window and I have sheer blinds to block out the sunlight and a desk lamp for the darker days. I’m always prepared for the changes in light and weather!

INSPIRE

It’s nice to personalise your desk and office space with the things that inspire you. I love to have a favourite image on my computer desktop and there are always a few things dotted around to make me smile. I also find burning a zesty scented candle keeps me going when I hit the mid-afternoon lull.

DECLUTTER

This one varies between people. Some like to be surrounded by the things that inspire them, while others prefer a calm clutter-free space. If you thrive in a calm environment then decluttering is of enormous value. I tend to clear my office at the end of each working week. It’s amazing how much stuff accumulates when I’m busy.

GREENERY

I enjoy greenery and so I always have a plant or two on my desk. Houseplants improve air quality and they make great work colleagues because they’re always supportive and never answer back!

CLEAN AND TIDY

I tidy my desk at the end of each day because I love to start the morning free of yesterday’s mess. A clear space can feel like a fresh start which can motivate and inspire. It’s like a blank canvas ready for a new day of growth and creatively.

How To Create A Productive Workspace | candypop.uk.com
How To Create A Productive Workspace | candypop.uk.com

HARVEYS HARDWORKING HAVENS

I was recently approached by Harveys Furniture to share my home office as part of their hardworking havens campaign. Hardworking havens celebrates how people are making their spare rooms work harder and after recently sharing my home office/guest bedroom makeover I was delighted to take part. You can read the full post on the Harveys blog.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a gorgeous day!

How To Create A Productive Workspace | candypop.uk.com
How To Create A Productive Workspace | candypop.uk.com

This post is a sponsored collaboration with Harveys. All views are my own.

Follow on Bloglovin’ | Join the mailing list

• Reply Victoria Eales 24th May 2016 at 11:59 am

I had big plans for a nice desk/blogging space in my lounge to stop me sitting on the sofa tapping away on my laptop. Annoyingly the desk I got is lovely but it’s too thin to sit at comfortably! It does look out over the garden so that’s something!

Reply Candy Pop 24th May 2016 at 12:09 pm

That’s such a shame because a workspace with a view of the garden sounds like my idea of heaven! x

• Reply Steph 24th May 2016 at 3:48 pm

I always get so inspired by others’ workspaces, but mine fails dismally. In my office, I have a window and a cactus (called Juan – he used to wear a sombrero), but I live in perpetual clutter. As for my home office, I’m not winning to much on that either. I have the same desk that I had when I started secondary school (getting on for 20 years now) and really need to change it to something a little taller. I do have cats though, so that must trump the less-than-amazing points of my home office!

Reply Candy Pop 25th May 2016 at 5:56 pm

Thanks Steph for making me smile. Juan sounds amazing, as do your cats! Thanks for stopping by. x

• Reply kathryn 24th May 2016 at 7:39 pm

Good tips, I’ve been trying to follow these key steps too with more plants and organisation. I just wish I could be a bit neater! xx

Reply Candy Pop 25th May 2016 at 5:58 pm

Thank you Kathryn. More plants are always a good idea! x

• Reply Hannah 24th May 2016 at 9:17 pm

Great tips, I now have a list of things to do and buy for my rather dull looking desk. Discovered you via ‘We are 30 plus’ FB page x

Reply Candy Pop 25th May 2016 at 5:58 pm

Thanks Hannah and welcome! x

• Reply Jess @ Along Came Cherry 25th May 2016 at 6:50 am

Great tips, I really need to get a better chair as mine is awful and definitely isn’t good for comfort! x

Reply Candy Pop 25th May 2016 at 5:59 pm

Thank you Jess. x

• Reply Emmaly Knecht 25th May 2016 at 5:41 pm

I’m currently creating my corner office in the guest room and the first thing we did was paint the walls a nice soothing color. We also positioned the desk to have a view of the mountains. Pretty soon i will live in that space so i wanted to prep it to make it as comfortable as possible. Still needs work but its a start!

Reply Candy Pop 25th May 2016 at 5:59 pm

Thank you. It sounds amazing, especially with a mountain view! x

• Reply Polly Davies 25th May 2016 at 10:15 pm

Great tips, your space looks lovely. I need to give my office a little make-over {and start working in there rather than on the sofa!!}

Reply Candy Pop 27th May 2016 at 11:03 am

Thanks Polly, have a gorgeous Friday! x

• Reply Eva 27th May 2016 at 1:03 pm

I have a big desk for bloggin but it is always disordered. I used to have lots of recipes, notes, post-it…when I look after your desk I would have the same, so zen!! So this afternoon I’m going to ordered everything 😉 thanks for the advices. Have a lovely weekend Natasha !

Reply Candy Pop 29th May 2016 at 10:20 am

Thanks Eva, good luck with the declutter and have a great weekend! x

• Reply Kyron 30th May 2016 at 6:26 pm

I’ve been neglecting my chair for well over a year now, I do suffer from a bad lower back so I should really focus on getting myself a proper desk chair. I’ve been so busy online that I have been neglecting what’s right in front of my eyes. Thank you for posting, I needed to read this.

Reply Candy Pop 30th May 2016 at 6:48 pm

Thanks for your comment, I’m pleased you found the post useful. x

• Reply laurenginteriors 21st June 2016 at 9:32 pm

Have just discovered your blog Natasha and I love your style! I have just moved back to the Cotswolds and have set up my office with the desk facing the window – natural light is my biggest requirement for a happy work environment. Now…I just need to work on the de-cluttering at the end of each week…..! x

Reply Candy Pop 22nd June 2016 at 9:16 am

Hi Laura, thanks for stopping by! Natural light sounds good to me. You should come along to the next Oxford Instameet on 9 July, lots of bloggers attend. x

• Reply laurenginteriors 23rd June 2016 at 11:32 am