Creative Business Self-Care Travel

How to Avoid the Post-Holiday Blues

14th July 2016

How to avoid the post-holiday blues | candypop.uk.com

SUNSETS AND PALM TREES

Returning to reality after a holiday can feel like putting on a wet swimming costume. Especially if you have a mountain of washing, an overflowing inbox and you’re expected in work the following day.

After years of experiencing the post-holiday blues, I decided to implement a few things to soften the blow. So, today I’m sharing a few tips to help you glide seamlessly back into daily life.

How To Avoid The Post-Holiday Blues

1. PRE-HOLIDAY PLANNING
HOME

If you have the time it’s good to tidy your home and make sure everything is in order before you depart. On your return, you’re more than likely to have a few household chores to do so why not make things easy for yourself by having everything else in order. That way you can put your feet up, make yourself a Pina Colada and pretend you’re still sat on a balcony enjoying the sunset!

WORK

One thing that can cast a shadow over a holiday is thinking about work. So roughly two weeks before you leave, plan what you’d like to achieve before you set off. After all, there’s nothing like a holiday deadline to help you get things done. If you have colleagues, create some handover notes and just before you depart clear your inbox, tidy your desk and write a list of the jobs you’ll do on your return. This will make the hazy first day back at work a whole lot easier. Further reading: six things I do to organise my office before a holiday.

How to avoid the post-holiday blues | candypop.uk.com

2. CREATE SOME EXTRA TIME

If it’s possible, build in an extra day to rest and get organised before returning to reality. You’ll undoubtedly have food to buy and washing to do and if anything, it’s nice to extend the break for as long as you can. This is of great value if you’ve travelled to a far-off destination and are suffering from jet lag. After all, falling asleep at your desk is not the best way to return to work!

3. BE KIND TO YOURSELF

You don’t have to jump straight back into healthy eating, exercise, a busy schedule and routine after a break. In fact, why not take things easy and stretch out that holiday feeling for as long as you can. I like to re-introduce good habits gradually because I know if I pile on too much too soon I’ll undoubtedly fail. Always listen to your body and remember it’s normal to sometimes feel down after a break.

4. ENJOY THE LITTLE THINGS

After a holiday and a change of scenery, it’s easier to see things more clearly. So why not take a step back to appreciate the joyful things in life. Whether it’s your family and friends, the beauty of nature or even your morning coffee. Breathe, be present and take a moment or two to be grateful of the here and now.

5. HOLD ONTO THAT HOLIDAY FEELING

Editing photographs, listening to the music you enjoyed while away or even using the perfume you bought in duty-free will take you back to that happy place. Although we shouldn’t spend our lives reminiscing I think a little daydreaming is good for the soul. I’ve certainly imagined myself back on the beautiful island of Mykonos when it’s raining outside.

6. PLAN A NEW ADVENTURE

Try to fill your days with joy by doing the things you love. And if you’re really feeling the post-holiday blues you could plan a fun day out or even another holiday. Focusing on a new experience or adventure can help to push through the challenging days.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a blissful day!

How to avoid the post-holiday blues | candypop.uk.com

Follow on Bloglovin’ | Join the mailing list | Pin this post on Pinterest:

How to avoid the post-holiday blues | candypop.uk.com

• Reply Victoria Eales 14th July 2016 at 11:26 am

A well needed post although I shouldn’t complain too much as I’m off again in two months time!

Reply Candy Pop 14th July 2016 at 11:36 am

You’re welcome. Well, number 6 does suggest booking another holiday! Where are you going? x

• Reply pennyalexander 14th July 2016 at 1:58 pm

I need to master more of these, travel blogging doesn’t leave much room to reflect or plan ahead sometimes!

Reply Candy Pop 14th July 2016 at 2:37 pm

Thanks for stopping by. x

• Reply Eleanor@The Bristol Parent 15th July 2016 at 6:48 am

Got to be honest, I clean the house before I go, or ask the cleaner to come when I’m away. Nothing like walking back into a clean house to relax you and make you feel like facing the rest of the week!

Reply Candy Pop 15th July 2016 at 11:00 am

Thanks Eleanor. That sounds good to me! x

• Reply Lucy 15th July 2016 at 9:52 am

Oh my goodness – those colours! I love this post – just reading it made me feel good. I definitely agree about tidying the house before – it feels nice to return to everything clean and organised. x

Reply Candy Pop 15th July 2016 at 11:01 am

Thanks so much Lucy for your kind comment. I’m glad you enjoyed the post! x

• Reply Sue 15th July 2016 at 10:47 am

Totally agree about the tidy and clean (ish) house before you go. And if poss the day or two to readjust before going back to work. I flick through holiday photos on my phone always eases the blues too. And a good one is trying to recreate some of the food you ate whilst away. I remember the first time I came back from Greece I was eating Greek Salads nearly every day!!

Reply Candy Pop 15th July 2016 at 11:04 am

It’s funny you should say that because I’ve been eating a lot of Greek salads. It’s a shame I can’t get hold of the amazing Greek beef tomatoes. x

• Reply Slummy single mummy 15th July 2016 at 11:03 am

Your tip about tidying the house before you go is so true. It’s so horrid to come back to a mess, and often I find myself getting home and wanting to throw loads of things away especially if we’ve been on a fairly low key break, like camping. I get home and there just feels like there’s so much STUFF everywhere.

Reply Candy Pop 15th July 2016 at 11:07 am

I couldn’t agree more. My huge declutter was partly due to a stay at a holiday home in Devon and wanting to capture the calm and relaxing feeling in my everyday life! x

• Reply laurasidestreet 18th July 2016 at 11:40 am

Some really fantastic tips – I find looking back on photos really help and like you said planning another adventure gives you something to look forward too

Laura x

Reply Candy Pop 18th July 2016 at 11:43 am

Thank you Laura. x

• Reply Eva 18th July 2016 at 6:39 pm

Magnifiques pictures Natasha! I like yours advices, specially “live the little things” it’s my credo in this moment! Have a nice July, blue and beautiful !xx

Reply Candy Pop 18th July 2016 at 8:44 pm

Thanks Eva. I hope you’re having a great month so far. x

• Reply Polly Davies 18th July 2016 at 10:27 pm

great tips – I learnt years ago that coming home to a clean and tidy house lessened the blow a little bit!

Reply Candy Pop 19th July 2016 at 4:25 pm

Thanks Polly. x

• Reply laurenginteriors 19th July 2016 at 1:28 pm

Those photos are absolutely beautiful! I think that the pre-holiday house clean makes such a difference – oh, and a bottle of wine chilled and ready in the fridge!

Reply Candy Pop 19th July 2016 at 4:26 pm

Thank you so much. A bottle of wine sounds like a great idea. x

• Reply Lara Moore 19th July 2016 at 2:27 pm

This is a very well timed post for me – it went up two days before I got home from my holiday! Definitely feeling the blues but I’m running with tip 6 and going away again in a couple of weeks 😉

-L

Reply Candy Pop 19th July 2016 at 4:27 pm

I’m pleased you found it useful and I hope you have a great trip! x

• Reply kathryn 20th July 2016 at 5:00 pm

I think it’s important to plan your next adventure / holiday / day trip / treat so you have something to look forward to! Your holiday looked wonderful. xx

Reply Candy Pop 21st July 2016 at 10:26 am

Thank you Kathryn. Have a gorgeous day. x

• Reply lifestylelodestar 20th July 2016 at 7:18 pm

Great article and some sound advice. Love the holiday pics too- lush.

Reply Candy Pop 21st July 2016 at 10:26 am