Creative Business Creativity Self-Care Simple Living

The Benefits of a Month or Season of Rest

19th August 2016

The Benefits of a Month or Season of Rest | candypop.uk.com

A MONTH OR SEASON OF REST

Everyone needs to take a break. And after 11 months of work or hustle, as it seems to be referred to, I decided to make August a month of rest. It’s tricky when you work freelance to take a step back. After all, who will pay the bills and keep up with the relentless inbox? But with some careful planning and simplifying it is possible.

So today I’m talking about the benefits of a month or season of rest. One that makes you feel rejuvenated and ready to jump into the next stage of your life.

The Benefits of a Month or Season of Rest | candypop.uk.com

IT ENABLES US TO EVALUATE

Stopping to evaluate is a great practice to get into. Many of us find we’re so busy we get lost under all our habits, routines and commitments. Taking a step back enables us to assess what is adding value and what is not. And with a little careful pruning, we can remove the time-wasters making space for the things that bring us the greatest joy.

IT MOTIVATES US TO FOLLOW OUR DREAMS

When we slow down we can look at our goals and dreams to ensure we’re on track. If we’re not sure what we want from life it can give us the space to think. Our life goal might be as simple as working less so by taking a little time out we can plan how to get there. Making sure we don’t get swept away by the daily grind.

OUR BEST IDEAS EMERGE

They really do, trust me! When we switch off the noise of the online world and strip our lives down to the essentials, we can truly open our hearts to new ideas. I wholeheartedly feel inspiration needs space to grow and by giving ourselves permission to rest we can find inspiration in new ways. Everything is constantly moving and by stopping we can decide how we’d like to move forward. Without being swept away by what everyone else is doing.

The Benefits of a Month or Season of Rest | candypop.uk.com

IT’S LIKE PRESSING RESET

Enjoying a slow month or season helps us get back to the basics. When you’re seeking a quieter time, you’ll find yourself cutting back on the stuff you consume. This can include news updates, social media and all the things that can make us feel busy and eat away at our productivity. Going cold turkey on the time-wasters helps us to establish some control and achieve a healthier balance in our lives.

IT LETS US REST

Probably the most valuable thing from taking a step back is getting some much-needed rest. Rest can include reading, walking, sewing, painting and so on. Anything that enables us to be fully present in our lives. It’s good to exercise a little self-care away from the stresses of daily life. And you may even find you develop new ways to relax and unwind.

After a brief hiatus, I’m feeling productive, inspired and excited about the road ahead. It has also given me time to get my pending jobs cleared, remove some clutter and get organised. It’s like preparing a blank canvas for the next stage of life. It’s good to occasionally pause and assess before you move forward. And it’s always valuable to work smarter rather than harder!

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a wonderful day!

The Benefits of a Month or Season of Rest | candypop.uk.com

Follow on Bloglovin’ | Sign up to the mailing list | Pin this post on Pinterest:

The Benefits of a Month or Season of Rest candypop.uk.com

• Reply Alison 19th August 2016 at 12:23 pm

Oh good for you Natasha! I couldn’t agree more that the best ideas and inspiration hits when you’re having a break. it’s a really hard thing to do, though, as you say. Well done! x

Reply Candy Pop 19th August 2016 at 12:31 pm

Thanks Alison. You’re right, taking a break is really inspiring! Have a great Friday and weekend. x

• Reply Ashley cramp 19th August 2016 at 12:27 pm

So true, It makes for time to see what is really important too, like meeting new friends!
    best as always Ashley x

Reply Candy Pop 19th August 2016 at 12:32 pm

Exactly! It was wonderful to spend the day with you. See you in October, if not before. x

• Reply Sue 19th August 2016 at 12:58 pm

I do take 2 weeks off at Xmas and have tried to slow down a lot in August. Can’t wait to see how your break has affected your future plans!

Reply Candy Pop 19th August 2016 at 1:05 pm

Thanks Sue. I regretted not taking Christmas off, I won’t be making that mistake again! x

• Reply Victoria Eales 19th August 2016 at 1:19 pm

I must confess I’m not the best at ‘resting’ but at the moment I’m under threat of redundancy and with such long service my package if the worst happens would afford me some time to sit back and take that time out to decide what to do and ‘enjoy life’ as it were.

Reply Candy Pop 19th August 2016 at 1:36 pm

I’m sorry to hear about your job. It can’t be easy for you and your colleagues. Take care and keep me posted. x

• Reply Lucy 19th August 2016 at 1:41 pm

Such a good idea. Very beneficial – I will be be doing this in a while. Already voted for you – good luck xx

Reply Candy Pop 19th August 2016 at 1:53 pm

Thanks for your kind comment and vote. Have a fabulous weekend! x

• Reply Chantele 19th August 2016 at 4:19 pm

Love the idea of a month of rest! Were also freelance (own a photography company) so taking time out is hard, but also it can be easier to do than if you work for someone! We took 2 full weeks off when our little one arrived, which was lovely, and hoping to pencil it in again later in the year after wedding season!

Reply Candy Pop 25th August 2016 at 8:52 am

Thanks for your comment. It is hard when you work freelance, as you say. I hope you get the chance to slow down later in the year. x

• Reply pennyalexander 19th August 2016 at 5:41 pm

I wish I had! August has been my busiest month and I am sad about that. But, silver lining, I am taking a complete week off next week, social media detox and no travel blogging either so a proper holiday! With you on the hustling bit, when did everyone start describing doing a bit of work as hustling!

Reply Candy Pop 19th August 2016 at 5:46 pm

Thanks Penny. Have a great week off and enjoy a break from the hustle – haha! x

• Reply Alice 19th August 2016 at 9:32 pm

I’ve taken something of a break this august – cutting my hours in half (by accident!). It has been wonderful, though. Totally refreshing to not have a to-do list the size of my arm and this constant pressure of having always something to do weighing on me. I would recommend it to everyone because of the reasons you’ve outlined above! I’ll be giving it another go next august 🙂

Reply Candy Pop 21st August 2016 at 12:08 pm

Thanks Alice. Me too, August is definitely going to be my slow month! x

• Reply Adele at Beautiful Tribe 19th August 2016 at 9:41 pm

It’s so true that a rest is needed at times. I’ve a friend who’s left her permanent job to take a fallow year (she may get cafe work or something) to clear her mind and reevaluate. I’m in awe of her decision.

Reply Candy Pop 21st August 2016 at 12:08 pm

Thanks Adele. What a nice idea, good for her! x

• Reply Amanda 20th August 2016 at 11:27 am

Me too! I usually take August off and this is the first year I haven’t. I definitely need a rest!a

Reply Candy Pop 21st August 2016 at 12:09 pm

Thanks Amanda for stopping by. x

• Reply kathryn 21st August 2016 at 7:51 pm

I was intending to clear the whole of August and take a proper break as you know but didn’t quite manage it due to a couple of blogging commitments. Plus it’s hard to say no to paid work as a freelancer. However, having the kids at home during the school holidays has been a good reminder to slow down and let things slide a little. I know I can pick up again in September, hopefully with renewed enthusiasm! xx

Reply Candy Pop 21st August 2016 at 8:13 pm

Thanks, Kat. I agree, I couldn’t say no to valuable opportunities! But spending less time on social media and cutting out a few time-wasters has definitely slowed things down. I hope you’re having a great August. x

• Reply Chloe (Sorry About The Mess) 22nd August 2016 at 4:21 pm

Ooh it can be SO tricky to take a break, but so rewarding too, as you say.

Reply Candy Pop 23rd August 2016 at 9:28 pm

Thanks Chloe for stopping by. x

• Reply laurasidestreet 1st September 2016 at 12:01 am

I really need to take a break at some point, think I will have to wait until the new year but it can be so tricky when working freelance! Although I know it makes you a better at multi-tasking, creative and more productive if you do step away.

Laura x

Reply Candy Pop 1st September 2016 at 4:20 pm

Thanks Laura. Happy new month! x

• Reply carolinepavalov 17th September 2016 at 8:03 pm

Thanks Natasha for the wonderful post. Funnily, I too have left my job (just 3 days ago!) and am working freelance now. So it has given me more time to take care of things on the home front as well as catch up with friends and reading! It has been a wonderful, rejuvenating experience up till now and I totally agree with you on the importance of a month of rest. Hope to see more such interesting and inspiring posts. Thanks once again!

Reply Candy Pop 19th September 2016 at 8:57 am

Thank you Caroline. Good luck with your freelance work! x

• Reply Ashley Barnes 10th January 2017 at 4:15 pm

Everything has been so troubled and hurried in my life that reading this is a rest in itself. You are so right! We do need to take a season of rest once in awhile and I’m definitely gonna do one as soon as possible. Love the post!

Reply Candy Pop 11th January 2017 at 9:41 am

Thanks so much, Ashley. I hope things calm down a little for you. x