Creative Business Creativity Self-Care

5 Everyday Rituals for a Calm and Mindful Day

28th September 2016

5 Everyday Rituals For a Calm and Mindful Day | candypop.uk.com

WHEREVER YOU ARE, BE ALL THERE ~ Jim Elliot

Every day I learn something new about myself and since working freelance, it’s become clear I’m a creature of habit. As much as I love adventures and trying new things, the core of my life needs routine or I begin to feel lethargic and a little lost. So today I’m sharing five everyday rituals that help me create a calm and mindful day.

5 Everyday Rituals for a Calm and Mindful Day | candypop.uk.com

ROUTINE

To make sure I feel awake, motivated and full of energy I get up and go to bed at regular times. I try to do this because I feel amazing when I have the same amount of sleep each night. I also swim two mornings a week and walk on the days in between. There are some weeks when my routine falls by the wayside but for the most part, I try to keep things on track.

MEDITATION

I started meditating using the Headspace app in December 2014 and now I can’t imagine my life without it. It’s one of the most important 20 minutes of my day because it enables me to stop, relax and look inward. I enjoy the quiet time and it sets the tone for a calmer day. I’ve also been trying progressive muscle relaxation tutorials on YouTube. Which are great to fully relax my body and move my attention away from my busy mind. Further reading: six things I gained from a year of mindfulness and meditation.

5 Everyday Rituals for a Calm and Mindful Day | candypop.uk.com

MAKING TEA

One of my favourite rituals is making tea. The process takes me away from my desk and enables me to fully focus on the important task of tea making! Waiting for it to brew forces me to pause and reflect and watching a flowering tea (c/o Jing Tea) unfold is a treat!

WALKING

I walk as often as I can because I’m certain the activity has healing powers! Walking calms my mind and gets my body moving. And if I’m upset or worried it helps me to gain some perspective. I love exploring the streets I’ve never visited and generally picking up new ideas. Power walking with a motivational podcast is a great way to end my working day.

5 Everyday Rituals For a Calm and Mindful Day candypop.uk.com

READING

I don’t watch very much television because I prefer reading or listening to the radio and podcasts. Where possible I like to switch off my technology at 9pm so I can immerse myself in a book or magazine. I find reading extremely calming and it slows my mind helping me to unwind. I like the simple pleasures because they make me feel happy and content. And when my life gets busy these activities help to ground me.

Just to add, I have two features in issue two of Breathe. A beautiful magazine focusing on wellbeing, mindfulness and creativity.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a wonderful day!

5 Everyday Rituals for a Calm and Mindful Day | candypop.uk.com

Follow on Bloglovin’ | Sign up to the mailing list | Pin this post on Pinterest:

5 Everyday Rituals For a Calm and Mindful Day candypop.uk.com

• Reply Molly 28th September 2016 at 12:42 pm

With a toddler and 6 year old in the house things aren’t very calm around here, but I do find the routine of walking to school twice a day really helps give shape to our day and calms me down if I’m anxious about something. I also always start my working afternoon (once the toddler has gone down for a nap) with a cup of tea. Some days it’s good old fashioned Earl Grey and others it’s the Cleanse tea by Pukka. I’m a sucker for a cup of tea!

Reply Candy Pop 28th September 2016 at 12:45 pm

Thanks Molly. Me too, I think my default is to put the kettle on!

• Reply Lazy daisy jones 28th September 2016 at 1:00 pm

That tea! Love to know how it tastes and I bet the fragrance helps calm a busy mind too?
    Xx

Reply Candy Pop 28th September 2016 at 1:07 pm

Thanks Ashley. Jing stock a number of different teas – I have flowering osmanthus and flowering jasmine and lily. Both are green teas.

• Reply pennyalexander 28th September 2016 at 5:31 pm

I’ve just started doing yoga in the mornings again, and then taking my tea into the garden for some big deep breaths. Yesterday I was on the trampoline at 6.30am I felt so energised ha ha!

Reply Candy Pop 28th September 2016 at 6:41 pm

Thanks Penny for stopping by. A morning trampoline session sounds amazing!

• Reply Rachel | little pip (@peacockfeather) 28th September 2016 at 11:01 pm

I suffer from the same chaos with kids as I imagine a lot of people do, but unless one of us is out, we try and sit down and eat together which I love. I also am finding the rhythm of the school run to be strangely soothing.

Reply Candy Pop 29th September 2016 at 10:36 am

Thank you Rachel. Eating together and the routine of the school run sound lovely. Have a great day.

• Reply Jo 29th September 2016 at 1:58 pm

Walking is such a good head clearer, I definitely don’t do enough of it. My biggest relaxation discovery is knitting! I spent most of last year fraught with anxiety, unable to sleep, and knitting helped so much. It keeps my head and hands occupied so anything else is blotted out. I get to sit so my body rests and at the end I end up with a lovely accessory or garment!

Gilmore Girls is fantastic – you’re going to get so sucked in! 😀

Reply Candy Pop 29th September 2016 at 2:27 pm

Hi Jo, I’m sorry to hear about your anxiety, but pleased knitting helped with relaxation… I think I’ve already been sucked in by Gilmore Girls!

• Reply Lucy 30th September 2016 at 11:29 am

I agree that getting ample sleep is so good for you. great advice here!
    My ritual is drinking water as soon as I wake up to get my sister going and doing a few minutes meditation to start the day.
    Loving your photos …X

Reply Candy Pop 2nd October 2016 at 3:50 pm

Thank you Lucy. I will add a glass of water when I wake up to my list! I hope you’re having a great day.

• Reply CPatter 30th September 2016 at 8:35 pm

The only downside of Gilmore Girls is the non-stop talking. Many times I’m having to mute it as they won’t shut up! It didn’t help I just binged the entire series again to get ready for the new episodes in November :O

Reply Candy Pop 2nd October 2016 at 3:51 pm

That’s hilarious! I asked a friend what she thought of Gilmore Girls, her reply was they talk too fast!

• Reply Sue 1st October 2016 at 1:50 pm

Great ideas here- I’ve still to try the flowering tea but it sounds like a meditation in itself. Have a restful weekend

Reply Candy Pop 2nd October 2016 at 3:52 pm

Thanks Sue. The flowing tea is great, come on over and I’ll make you a cup!

• Reply Ivy 1st October 2016 at 9:08 pm

I agree with you on the bedtime and wake time routine. When I not only have the right amount of sleep but the timing is the same, I can feel my energy soar. Walking the dog also clears my head and moves me off the desk too. There is something about nature that is so calming.

Reply Candy Pop 2nd October 2016 at 3:53 pm

Thanks so much Ivy for stopping by. I must admit, I’m very tempted to get a dog!

• Reply Lyndsay 6th October 2016 at 8:38 pm

Some really great tips there. I really need to get better at turning everything off at 9pm, I keep trying to but then I think ‘oh I must just quickly check Instagram’ …. and before I know it, it’s 10:30pm. Doh. Oh well, baby steps, I’m trying!

Lyndsay | Fizzy Peaches Travel & Lifestyle Blog

Reply Candy Pop 7th October 2016 at 12:26 pm

Thanks Lyndsay. That’s exactly what I did and then I found I couldn’t get to sleep! Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend!