Self-Care

Creating a Balanced Life in the New Year

1st January 2017

Creating a Balanced Life in the New Year | candypop.uk.com

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I find January to be a tricky customer. I’m not a fan of the whole new year, new me thing, so I refrain from making too many resolutions. After all, it’s no fun setting tough targets, only to find I fail in the first month of the year!

For 2017 I’d like to achieve a sense of balance in all areas of life. Keeping the scales from tipping too far in one direction. It’s something I was aiming for at the end of 2016, and I find it to be a kinder and gentler way to live. Especially when the world can be unkind.

Balance for me is having the freedom to say yes to the occasional indulgence and living a guilt-free life. It’s enjoying a little bit of everything while showing grace and compassion to myself and the choices I make. Most of all, it’s feeling grateful and content and making sure I have all the ingredients I need to build a happy and fulfilled life. Here are the five areas I’ll be focusing on in the coming year.

Creating a Balanced Life in the New Year | candypop.uk.com

CREATING A BALANCED LIFE
1. MIND

Many of us get sidetracked investing time in how we look while neglecting what’s inside. Feeling good about our appearance can, of course, improve how we feel. But it’s valuable to start from within by practicing a little self-care and focusing on gratitude for what we already have.

During 2017 I plan to find balance by nurturing relationships while also enjoying time out to read and think. Making sure I create space for the things that bring me the greatest joy will be my primary focus. While continuing to practice mindfulness to reduce thinking about the past or worrying about the future.

I also hope to enjoy regular time offline. I find my best ideas and inspiration come when I silence the noise of the online world. It also helps me to feel slightly more present in everyday life.

2. BODY

I don’t know about you but when I impose a strict exercise routine I struggle to keep it up. This is because I either wear myself out or simply get bored. During 2017 I intend to approach exercise with a strategy of little and often while mixing up what I do to stop the boredom kicking in.

I plan to continue to swim and attend the gym while integrating movement with a daily morning walk. If I have a busy week and I don’t have time to exercise I won’t beat myself up. My priority will be to listen to my body and exercise when I need to. After all, exercise feels better when it’s viewed as a treat!

3. WORK

Last year I tried several different routines in my working life. Working freelance after twenty years of full-time employment has certainly been a big lifestyle change. And on occasion a bit of a shock!

I’m hoping that this year, I can balance out my week and workload. Being sensitive to what I need in my day and open to ideas and new ways of working. I intend to find a place where I feel at ease and can work smarter and not harder.

4. PLAY

Working freelance means the boundaries between work and play are sometimes blurred. This results in working when I should be enjoying some much needed downtime. Seeking balance will hopefully create a clear distinction, and thus enable me to fully switch off and recharge when I need to.

Balance in my downtime will include spending time with family and friends, seeking adventure as well as enjoying quiet time to relax. I hope indulging in a whole range of different activities as well as trying new things will invigorate my body and mind.

5. DIET

I wouldn’t like to advise anyone on what to eat but what works for me is a little bit of everything, and everything in moderation. I find with a balanced diet I can create a healthy relationship with food and most of all it stops me from overindulging. Over the years, I’ve noticed whenever I remove items from my diet I crave them even more!

Creating a Balanced Life in the New Year | candypop.uk.com
CLARITY AND CALM

By applying balance to the five areas of life I hope to maintain a sense of clarity and calm. I’m certain there’ll be weeks when things tip in one direction. The secret will be to notice when this happens and make tweaks to get the balance back.

Whether you’ve set New Year’s resolutions, established some exciting goals or are simply looking forward to embracing life as it unfolds, I wish you all the joy in the world. Let’s strive for a peaceful, happy and healthy 2017!

Follow Candy Pop on Bloglovin’ / sign up to the mailing list / pin this post on Pinterest:

Creating a Balanced Life in the New Year | candypop.uk.com

• Reply fashionforlunch 1st January 2017 at 9:42 am

Love this post Natasha and I deffo need to sort this out myself this year x

Reply Candy Pop 1st January 2017 at 9:47 am

Thanks so much, Kirsty. Happy New Year. I hope you have a gorgeous day!

• Reply Fritha Strickland 1st January 2017 at 9:45 am

This post is so inspiring to me as I am craving the same! I’ve been listening to lots of podcasts about the same sort of subject and it’s given me the kick I need to start simplifying and also creating a better work/life balance! Xx

Reply Candy Pop 1st January 2017 at 9:50 am

Happy New Year, Fritha! I think so many of us are craving a simpler life, especially with all the blurred boundaries of working freelance. I hope you find a better balance in 2017!

• Reply Adorngirl 1st January 2017 at 10:10 am

Happy New Year! Great post. The points are realistic and all about being kind to yourself which is always a great idea.

Reply Candy Pop 1st January 2017 at 11:07 am

Thanks so much, Ashanti. Happy New Year and have a wonderful day!

• Reply daydreamingfoodieLaura 2nd January 2017 at 1:04 pm

Good luck in your quest for balance. I think it’s what we are all looking for! I took the cut to 4days a week in my day job towards the end of last year in the hunt for a better work life balance. It appears to be working, so far! But I still have work to do 🙂

Reply Candy Pop 2nd January 2017 at 6:15 pm

Thanks, Laura. Dropping to four days a week sounds perfect. Happy New Year!

• Reply Old Fashioned Susie (@OldFashionedSus) 2nd January 2017 at 8:17 pm

A guilt free life sounds perfect, and I’m so like you with exercise! I get so bored!! Happy New Year!

Reply Candy Pop 3rd January 2017 at 9:57 am

Thanks, Sue. I hope you had a lovely holiday. Happy New Year!

• Reply Eva 3rd January 2017 at 8:29 am

Happy new year Natasha!! I hope you will have a wonderful 2017, full of ideas, happinness and love!!
    Your balanced life sounds great and I will follow your dreams again this year! xoxo

Reply Candy Pop 3rd January 2017 at 9:58 am

Thank you so much for your kind comment, Eva. I hope you have a magical 2017!

• Reply kathryn 3rd January 2017 at 11:39 am

Sound advice! I’m definitely going to try to be kind to myself while also balancing exercise and good diet. A bit of time offline does wonders for my inspiration and I always come back feeling refreshed, with lots of new ideas. Happy new year xx

Reply Candy Pop 3rd January 2017 at 12:03 pm

Thanks, Kathryn. It’s amazing how switching off can generate so many ideas! Happy New Year. I hope to see you soon!

• Reply Alice 3rd January 2017 at 2:14 pm

I DEFINITELY need to work on my balance – this has come at a perfect time. Happy new year! x

Reply Candy Pop 3rd January 2017 at 2:32 pm

Thanks, Alice. I’m pleased it was helpful. Happy New Year!

• Reply Eleanor (The Bristol Parent) 3rd January 2017 at 2:22 pm

I will also be doing the movement on my walk thing, as every day I need to buggy walk with the dog, and I think I can put some HIIT into that as well. Happy new year!

Reply Candy Pop 3rd January 2017 at 2:32 pm

Sounds good to me. Happy New Year, Eleanor!

• Reply Lottie | Oyster & Pearl 3rd January 2017 at 3:00 pm

You are so wise Natasha! Love how you’re applying the idea of balance to so many different areas. Makes a lot of sense. Looking forward to seeing you again soon! x

Reply Candy Pop 3rd January 2017 at 3:23 pm

Thank you, Lottie! I hope we can catch up soon. Happy New Year!

• Reply Lucy 3rd January 2017 at 5:35 pm

Great post. It’s all about achieving balance! I’m inspired. I’m just about to start yoga! X

Reply Candy Pop 4th January 2017 at 10:13 am

Thanks, Lucy. Yoga sounds perfect, I hope you enjoy it!

• Reply CraveCute Vintage 3rd January 2017 at 9:05 pm

Happy New Year! Very sound advice, I especially need to abide by the CLARITY and CALM portion! Blessings to you!

Reply Candy Pop 4th January 2017 at 10:13 am

Thanks so much, Diane. Happy New Year!

• Reply Lori 4th January 2017 at 10:02 am

I really need to take a gentle approach to the new year and hopefully good things will unfold! x

Reply Candy Pop 4th January 2017 at 10:14 am

That sounds good to me. Wishing you lots of happiness in 2017!

• Reply Jasmina 5th January 2017 at 9:12 am

Love the blog idea- so unique!

Reply Candy Pop 7th January 2017 at 8:38 am

Thank you!

• Reply Kelsey 5th January 2017 at 9:58 am

This is exactly what I’m aiming for. This new year just seems so much fresher and like I’m actually going to achieve something. And not just for the year but an actual lifestyle balance and lifestyle going forward.

K.

Reply Candy Pop 7th January 2017 at 8:39 am

Thanks, Kelsey. All the best for the new year!

• Reply Victoria Eales 9th January 2017 at 2:38 am

I’m glad I’m not the only one drawn into the new year new me! I rarely make resolutions but like you I do need to find some balance. Being off work has enabled me to acknowledge my strengths and weaknesses and where I want to take things in 2017.

Victoria xx

Reply Candy Pop 9th January 2017 at 12:23 pm

Thanks, Victoria. I’m excited to see what you do in 2017. Happy New Year!

• Reply WithB 16th January 2017 at 11:34 am

Loved your post! it was very helpful! I’ve only just begun a blog and in need of some feed back from someone who is experienced. If you have a spare 10 minutes could you check it out and see what you think? All good if you can’t xx

Reply Candy Pop 17th January 2017 at 2:54 pm

Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope you’re enjoying blogging, I will pop over soon!