Creativity Personal Development Simple Living

How to Process Your Inbox and Free Up More Time

13th January 2017

How to Process Your Inbox and Free Up More Time | candypop.uk.com

SIMPLIFY YOUR INBOX

Despite the amazing benefits of email, addressing the inbox can be a never-ending task. Multiple unanswered emails make us feel overwhelmed, especially when we have important deadlines to meet. And when we fail to keep on top of things, the emails seem to multiply causing further unease.

There are a few effective ways to manage and process your inbox to instil a little calm in your life. My favourite method is the Inbox Zero technique which is based on a common sense approach involving converting each email into an action. It’s the way I’ve always worked and so I was amazed when I discovered the process has a name! If you have one or more inboxes, managing them in a systematic way will help liberate a little time. Making space for the people and things that bring the greatest joy.

How to Process Your Inbox and Free Up More Time | candypop.uk.com

HOW TO PROCESS YOUR INBOX
SCHEDULE TIMES TO PROCESS YOUR INBOX

Plan regular times to tackle your inbox and stick to them. This could be as little as once a day or as often as every hour. Processing emails in batches is super-efficient and you may even find you enjoy the process a little more! It’s wise to keep your email accounts closed while you’re working on other things to avoid distraction. I’ve turned off all the notifications on my computer and phone to avoid the temptation to check.

PROCESS AND COMPLETELY CLEAR YOUR INBOX

View the inbox as simply a holding area for the emails you haven’t read. Once they have been processed they should be deleted or filed. To do this you may wish to create a few folders. The Inbox Zero technique suggests only two: pending and archive. But I prefer a pending file plus one for each project I’m working on, probably not so efficient but it works for me.

How to Process Your Inbox and Free Up More Time | candypop.uk.com

Emails can be processed as follows:

1. FORWARD, DELETE OR JUNK

Many emails can be deleted, marked as junk/spam or forwarded to the person or people they apply to. If you receive a lot of unnecessary emails or are copied into conversations that don’t apply, then move swiftly through these actions. Delete or archive each email as you work your way down the list. This is my favourite action because it removes a lot of emails at once!

2. UNSUBSCRIBE, UNSUBSCRIBE, UNSUBSCRIBE!

Consider every notification, invitation, newsletter etc. that arrives in your inbox and decide if it adds value. If it doesn’t, simply take a moment to unsubscribe from the mailing list. It’s really worth taking the time to do this.

3. SHORT RESPONSE

Many emails only require a short response and these can be immediately addressed. Once complete the email should be deleted or filed. If you receive numerous emails requiring a similar reply, it’s wise to create some draft response templates. This will save time and enable you to quickly get to whatever you’d rather be doing!

4. LONG RESPONSE

A few emails will require a longer response or further information needs to be sought before a reply can be written. These emails can be moved to the pending folder for later attention. I advise scheduling a time to routinely check this folder. Once an email has been processed it can be deleted or filed.

And finally, it’s not only efficient but also kinder to keep your emails short. We’re all juggling a lot of stuff so being clear and concise will help the person receiving it. And in many cases, it will stop you receiving a lengthy reply in return! I’ve recently read that some people even write ‘no need to reply’ when they send an email that doesn’t require a response. I think this is a brilliant idea!

Processing my inboxes in this way means I don’t dip in and out throughout the day. And without the constant distraction I can focus on one task at a time. Definitely a more efficient way of working. After all, I’m all for working smarter, not harder!

Do you have a system to process your inbox?

How to Process Your Inbox and Free Up More Time | candypop.uk.com

My inbox processing method originally appeared in Breathe, issue 2

Follow on Bloglovin’ | Join the mailing list | Pin this post on Pinterest:

How to Process Your Inbox and Free Up More Time | candypop.uk.com

• Reply Lazy Daisy Jones 13th January 2017 at 7:52 am

Some wonderful ideas in this post, thank you for sharing! X

Reply Candy Pop 13th January 2017 at 7:53 am

You’re welcome, Ashley. Have a great day!

• Reply Lucy 13th January 2017 at 8:47 am

Great ideas here. I have become a lot more ‘unsubscribe’ these days and it makes my inbox much easier to deal with. Lovely post and gorgeous pics as ever! X

Reply Candy Pop 13th January 2017 at 9:02 am

Thanks so much, Lucy. Have a great Friday and weekend!

• Reply fashionforlunch 13th January 2017 at 8:57 am

Love this! Such great tips Natasha!

Reply Candy Pop 13th January 2017 at 9:02 am

Thanks, Kirsty. Have a fabulous Friday!

• Reply Sue 13th January 2017 at 9:11 am

I use a similar technique, but without all the folders… I don’t archive them either I just leave them if it’s something I’m working on!

Reply Candy Pop 13th January 2017 at 9:13 am

It’s so much easier, isn’t it? Have a great day, Sue!

• Reply Adorngirl 13th January 2017 at 10:15 am

There are some things I really didn’t think of what I definitely need to implement especially the pending folder!

Reply Candy Pop 13th January 2017 at 10:22 am

The pending folder certainly helps me. Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend!

• Reply Victoria Eales 13th January 2017 at 11:13 am

Such a helpful post, especially as I’m yet to get back into the swing of things since Christmas. Next week it’s all go so this tips are very timely to help me get started.

Have a great weekend,

Reply Candy Pop 13th January 2017 at 5:38 pm

Thanks so much, Victoria. I’m pleased you found the post useful. Have a gorgeous weekend!

• Reply Abi Partridge 13th January 2017 at 5:36 pm

Useful post Natasha, I’ve been using unroll.me to unsubscribe from emails this week!

Reply Candy Pop 13th January 2017 at 5:39 pm

I’ll have to check out unroll.me, thanks! I hope you have a fun weekend!

• Reply January freshness for your creativity, email and home – saturday shares – abi partridge 14th January 2017 at 7:42 am

[…] email inbox? Does that need some attention? Mine did this week. Natasha wrote this useful post on how to process your inbox and free up your […]

• Reply Elinor Hill aka Beachhutcook 14th January 2017 at 6:49 pm

I’m with you on the unsubscribe, unsubscribe! I’ve been working my way through these since the beginning of the year and it feels great. I don’t miss them one little bit.

Reply Candy Pop 15th January 2017 at 2:07 pm

Thanks, Elinor. Sounds good to me!

• Reply kathryn 16th January 2017 at 4:38 pm

The ‘no need to respond’ idea is such a good idea! xx

Reply Candy Pop 16th January 2017 at 5:33 pm

It’s great, isn’t it? I hope you’re having a lovely day.

• Reply Fritha Strickland 20th January 2017 at 2:54 pm

I really really need to follow these ideas! I fell like it would declutter my brain as well as my inbox! X

Reply Candy Pop 23rd January 2017 at 4:12 pm

So true. I hope you manage to find some calm!

• Reply Dreamer Achiever 22nd January 2017 at 8:03 pm

Great tips, thanks for sharing! 🙂

Reply Candy Pop 23rd January 2017 at 4:12 pm

Thanks – you’re welcome!

• Reply michelleroxwellMichelle 8th March 2017 at 8:38 am

Great ideas here, I like the ‘no need to reply’ ! Currently have thousands of emails in my inbox, need to start implementing your tips! 🙂

Reply Candy Pop 8th March 2017 at 1:13 pm

Thanks so much. Good luck!