Interiors My Home

7 Simple Ways to Make a House a Home

24th February 2017

7 Simple Ways to Make a House a Home | candypop.uk.com

MAKE A HOUSE A HOME

Since leaving home I’ve lived in nine different properties – six rented and three owned – and there are a few things I did in each one to make them feel cosy. I always like to work with what I have rather than against it. For example, I don’t think my current minimalist style would have worked in my previous 1930’s house. My surroundings play a big part in how I feel, so creating a homely environment is always time well spent!

When styling a property, I like to consider the senses as well as aesthetics. Lighting and aroma can transform a room as can houseplants and soft furnishings. So if you’re renting or not yet ready to decorate, here are seven simple and easy ways to make a house feel like a home.

7 Simple Ways to Make a House a Home | candypop.uk.com

1. Clean

An elderly lady once told me that the quickest way to make a house feel like a home is to give it a good clean – simple advice but she was right! There’s no better way to remove the feel of the previous owner than to air the property and scrub it down!

2. Get comfortable

Cushions, blankets, throws and rugs are a great way to instantly make a room feel cosy. Fabrics soften spaces and add warmth and comfort. During my years of renting, I hung beautiful fabrics to cover damaged walls. Instantly transforming the space and making it homely.

7 Simple Ways to Make a House a Home | candypop.uk.com

3. Consider lighting

Lighting can improve the look and feel of a room. Consider the brightness of bulbs, lamp shades and sidelights. There are lots of gorgeous lamps available ranging from traditional freestanding to contemporary desk lamps. Investing in a classic lamp is always a good idea because if you move you can take it with you.

4. Introduce some greenery

Houseplants improve air quality and bring a room to life. So, whether you like large palms or tiny succulents, there’s no denying they add a little charm. I like to pick plants with different patterns, colours and textures to create eye-catching displays. After all, who can resist nature’s lovable housemates? (Further reading: 3 simple ways to style your houseplants.)

7 Simple Ways to Make a House a Home | candypop.uk.com

5. Think about aroma

Scented candles, reed diffusers, oils, joss sticks or pomanders add fragrance to a room. There are so many different scents from calming lavender to uplifting zest. And with Spring on its way, I’m looking forward to opening the windows to let in some crisp fresh air.

6. Display your sentimental items and collectables

It’s fun to display sentimental items and collectables. Being surrounded by the things we love is comforting and gives a room a personality. Be bold and confident with what you choose to display – perhaps a stylish handbag, collections of photographs and prints or even your favourite shoes. Liberate your things and enjoy your treasure!

7 Simple Ways to Make a House a Home | candypop.uk.com

7. Add people

And finally, the simplest way to make a house feel like a home is to fill it with family and friends and make lots of happy memories!

I’d love to know how you make your house feel homely.

7 Simple Ways to Make a House a Home | candypop.uk.com

Follow on Bloglovin’ | Join the mailing list | Pin this post on Pinterest:

7 Simple Ways to Make a House a Home | candypop.uk.com

• Reply Sue 24th February 2017 at 8:02 am

Yes to all the above! Great tips here- have a lovely weekend Natasha

Reply Candy Pop 24th February 2017 at 8:13 am

Thanks, Sue. Have a gorgeous Friday and weekend!

• Reply Lucy 24th February 2017 at 8:12 am

Great advice. I always have scented candles around and love to put family photos up. X

Reply Candy Pop 24th February 2017 at 8:14 am

Thanks, Lucy. Scented candles and family photographs sound lovely. Have a fabulous Friday!

• Reply Janet Foot 24th February 2017 at 9:22 am

Baking a cake and enjoying the kitchen fill with delicious aromas.

Reply Candy Pop 24th February 2017 at 10:55 am

That sounds wonderful – I coming over!

• Reply The Ana Mum Diary 24th February 2017 at 1:43 pm

Really loved reading this. Its such a true but simple thing that first point about cleaning. I don’t feel comfortable in my home, unless its tidy, and I’ve given it a clean.

Reply Candy Pop 24th February 2017 at 4:16 pm

Thanks so much! I agree – even cleaning a dated property can bring it back to life! I hope you have a great weekend.

• Reply kathryn 24th February 2017 at 3:44 pm

Good advice! I love adding some personal items once everything else is clean and tidy. And yes to cosy blankets!! x

Reply Candy Pop 24th February 2017 at 4:17 pm

Thanks, Kat. You can’t beat a blanket or two! Thanks for stopping by and have a lovely weekend.

• Reply fashionforlunch 24th February 2017 at 7:48 pm

Your dressing table is so much and loving all these tips, thank you x

Reply Candy Pop 24th February 2017 at 9:15 pm

Thanks, Kirsty. Enjoy your weekend!

• Reply Lori 24th February 2017 at 7:58 pm

I am 100% one for adding greenery to a space! I can’t wait to start on our own home x

Reply Candy Pop 24th February 2017 at 9:16 pm

I can’t wait to see your new home! Have a great weekend, Lori.

• Reply Adorngirl 24th February 2017 at 10:33 pm

Really great tips! Sometimes giving the place a good scrub is good for the soul.

Reply Candy Pop 25th February 2017 at 7:54 am

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you have a lovely weekend.

• Reply Fritha Strickland 26th February 2017 at 9:39 am

I definetly need to introduce more plants in our home I think! X

Reply Candy Pop 28th February 2017 at 9:21 am

They certainly add a little cheer to a room!

• Reply Lazy Daisy Jones 26th February 2017 at 5:25 pm

Natasha a super home post, my fave tip is the cleaning one! im planning on getting a cleaner very soon! xx

Reply Candy Pop 28th February 2017 at 9:21 am

Thanks, Ashley. You lucky thing!

• Reply Alice Judge-Talbot 27th February 2017 at 11:55 am

I love these ideas – scents and plants are a big thing for me. They warm up my home so much! And of course cleaning… literally my favourite activity to make me fall in love with home again 🙂

Reply Candy Pop 28th February 2017 at 9:23 am

Thanks, Alice. We’re definitely on the same page!

• Reply Lottie | Oyster & Pearl 27th February 2017 at 2:01 pm

Yes to plants. I’ve never owned as many as I do now, it’s becoming a bit of an addiction! Off to read your styling post now 🙂

Reply Candy Pop 28th February 2017 at 9:24 am

Thanks, Lottie. I’m the same. I’ve always had one or two houseplants, but now I have over 20!

• Reply florenceandmary 27th February 2017 at 6:46 pm

Great tips, I’m not a lover of ‘cleaning’ but a tidy always makes me feel happier. It’s also made such a difference when I picked up, an admittedly faux bit of greenery.

Reply Candy Pop 28th February 2017 at 9:25 am

Thanks, Victoria. It’s amazing what a spot of cleaning and a bit of greenery can do! I hope you have a lovely day.

• Reply Sophie 1st March 2017 at 7:50 pm

Great tips, thanks for sharing. Always love relaxing on your site, you’re such an inspiration.
    I’m waiting for you on my site. // Hugs, Sophie

Reply Candy Pop 1st March 2017 at 9:08 pm

Thank you for your kind comment. I hope you’re having a great week!

• Reply maria | tilecentre 2nd March 2017 at 6:17 am

you always come up with great ideas and helpful tips.I love to read your blogs.I am not on of the “cleaning league”.But I am doing it on weekend only for refreshment.Thank you for sharing the tips.I am thinking for more plants for my home.Would you suggest me some indoor plants??

Reply Candy Pop 5th April 2017 at 11:07 am

Thank you for your kind comment. Ivy, succulents, cacti and cheese plants work well in the home. All are fairly low maintenance.