Self-Care Simple Living

The Joy of Spending Time Offline #EnjoyTimeOffline

10th April 2017
The Joy of Spending Time Offline | candypop.uk.com
SPENDING TIME OFFLINE

If you’re a regular visitor you may recall I took a week offline at Christmas. I was interested to see how it would make me feel and I’m always up for a challenge!

I’ll be honest, it was difficult to begin with. Cutting out any habit can be tough, especially when it’s so ingrained in everyday life. I found myself continually reaching for my phone, searching for connection, entertainment or simply out of boredom. However, as time went by, the desire to check my social media channels eased and I experienced a whole range of benefits.

1. I had more time
2. My mind was less busy
3. I felt present and in the moment
4. Life was a little lighter and calmer

The Joy of Spending Time Offline | candypop.uk.com

UNLOCK TIME

The time away gave me space to evaluate my relationship with the online world and to consider what I missed. On my return, I cut down on what I was consuming and I even bought an alarm clock to stop my phone notifications being the first thing I saw each day. I have a healthier relationship with my phone as a result!

Free from the continuous interruptions and procrastination, I noticed a flurry of ideas. And without seeing what others were doing I could plan things at my own pace and in my own way. The quiet freedom enabled my creativity to blossom and the extra time gave me space to plan.

The most valuable thing was I could truly listen to my heart. It’s easy to be swept away by the paths and goals of others. But by being offline I could focus on my dreams and how to take them forward. It was a liberating experience because it enabled me to reset the balance, unlock time and slow things down.

The Joy of Spending Time Offline | candypop.uk.com

UNPLUG TO RECHARGE

Don’t get me wrong, I love the web. Without it, I couldn’t have built a business or met so many like-minded people. However, I firmly believe in taking time out to fully connect with the world and more importantly ourselves.

I plan to take the long Easter weekend offline along with Cristina ColliGabrielle Treanor, Amanda Start of The Online Stylist and Kathryn Sharman of Kat Got the Cream. I figured with a few friends involved I’d be accountable!

If you’re curious to experience the benefits or fancy a challenge, why not give it a try? Maybe a few hours, a day or an entire weekend, whatever feels comfortable for you. I’m sure the experience will differ from person to person. After all, we all have very different relationships with the online world.

The Joy of Spending Time Offline | candypop.uk.com

#EnjoyTimeOffline

And finally, if you wish to capture your time away please feel free to share the images on your return, using the hashtag #EnjoyTimeOffline. Unless of course you also need a break from your camera! I thought it would be fun to create a hashtag that can be used to share those joyful moments offline over the coming months and years.

I’m looking forward to some uninterrupted time with my family, long country walks, curling up on my sofa with a good book and watching old films. However you’re spending the weekend, I hope you have a wonderful time. Take care and see you soon.

Further reading on Candy Pop:

The benefits of internet-free days
~ Six ways to spend less time online
The benefits of taking a week offline
How to process your inbox and free up more time

The Joy of Spending Time Offline | candypop.uk.com

Follow on Bloglovin’ | Sign up to the mailing list | Save this post on Pinterest:

The Joy of Spending Time Offline | candypop.uk.com

Previous Post |

• Reply Lazy Daisy Jones 10th April 2017 at 12:39 pm

I’m with you all the way!
    Although I did almost spend last weekend away from my laptop (but not my phone) I think I may have to try harder over Easter. Beautiful images as always. Have a super Easter with your family!
    Ashley xx

Reply Candy Pop 10th April 2017 at 12:42 pm

Thank you, Ashley! I’m looking forward to logging off for four days, it should be fun! I hope you have a wonderful Easter. 🙂

• Reply Geraldine 10th April 2017 at 1:37 pm

If only I have the willpower. Tricky for me to switch off as I have kids and patients, so have to always be present. Wishing you a wonderful Easter weekend x

Reply Candy Pop 10th April 2017 at 1:43 pm

Ha! I’m hoping I can do it! Christmas was simple because there were so many distractions, Easter may prove a little tricky! I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

• Reply Karen 10th April 2017 at 1:52 pm

I resonated with so much of this! Definitely guilty of missing moments due to capturing others sometimes. And it’s definitely tricky to put into practice when you work online all day. Habits are hard to break. Always good to take a step back though. Have a wonderful quiet Easter break hun 🙂

Reply Candy Pop 10th April 2017 at 4:04 pm

Thanks so much, Karen. You’re right, it’s hard to switch off! My aim is to have blocks of offline time during August and at Easter and Christmas. That way I’m not ‘in the office’ every day of the year – haha! I hope you have a wonderful Easter.

• Reply Sophie 10th April 2017 at 7:39 pm

Fantastic post Natasha! I had the longest silence in March but it was due to my work and I hardly had time for my blog. 🙁 I think the main thing that being offline must be your decision. Your decision to relax and recharge and you wrote. Wish you a great Easter with your loved ones 🙂
    Hugs, Sophie

Reply Candy Pop 10th April 2017 at 7:45 pm

Thank you, Sophie, for your kind comment. I hope you have a wonderful Easter.

• Reply Kimberly Duran 10th April 2017 at 8:01 pm

Oh wonderful post! I try to always take time away from my blog – at least a week at Christmas and another week during the year and once the initial panic of being away from the phone passes, you can’t even get me to look at it! It’s so good to unplug! We have a few days planned getaway in Wales in a couple of weeks and I’m going to try to unplug for at least a few of those days. It’s so important for my sanity and leaves me feeling so much more inspired instead of feeling drained and over stimulated xx

Reply Candy Pop 10th April 2017 at 8:09 pm

It sounds like you’ve nailed the online/offline balance. Taking time out, especially when we work online is so important, isn’t it? I hope you have a lovely Easter and holiday!

• Reply Alice Judge-Talbot 10th April 2017 at 9:15 pm

Love that you’re dedicating time offline and keeping yourself accountable for it with other people. It’s such a good idea! I did it – completely unintentionally – for about 24 hours recently. It was AMAZING! I’m definitely going to do it as a more conscious thing now x

Reply Candy Pop 12th April 2017 at 9:47 am

Thanks, Alice. That sounds amazing! I think it’s a great habit to get into, especially for those who work online. After all, everyone needs a day off! Have a lovely Easter.

• Reply Cate St Hill 11th April 2017 at 9:08 am

I’ve been thinking about taking a day a week offline, but it’s harder to put in to practice, maybe I’ll give it a go this easter weekend! Hope you have a lovely break x

Reply Candy Pop 12th April 2017 at 9:50 am

Thank you, Cate. That sounds perfect, I hope you have a lovely Easter weekend.

• Reply fashionforlunch 12th April 2017 at 9:31 am

You have been such an inspiration to me, I’m totally hooked on my phone and whilst I can’t be like you and take a whole week or two off, I do remind myself to get offline because I see the benefits from you! X

Reply Candy Pop 12th April 2017 at 9:54 am

Thank you, Kirsty. It can be a tough habit to break – our phones are addictive! I find taking a step back every now and then resets the balance. I hope you have a lovely Easter.

• Reply Johanne 12th April 2017 at 10:42 am

Inspiring article! I’ve been worried lately that I’ve been spending way too much time on my laptop and phone. After reading this, I think I’m going to propose to my boyfriend to at least spend one evening a week together without any digital distractions.

Reply Candy Pop 12th April 2017 at 12:00 pm

Thank you, I’m pleased you found it helpful. A evening off each week sounds like a great idea!

• Reply Sue 12th April 2017 at 3:16 pm

Such a fab idea for today’s seemingly busy world and busy minds. I find having the kids off school forces me offline which I’m grateful for

Reply Candy Pop 12th April 2017 at 3:40 pm

Thanks, Sue. I hope you have a wonderful Easter holiday!

• Reply kathryn 12th April 2017 at 9:52 pm

Looking forward to this break so much. I’m going to try doing some crafting to keep my hands busy as well as lots of outdoors stuff with the kids, leaving my phone at home xx

Reply Candy Pop 13th April 2017 at 9:49 am

Me too. I hope you have a lovely break and enjoy the head space. See you soon. 🙂

• Reply Lori 13th April 2017 at 9:07 am

Honestly this is such a good idea and i get sucked in so much to picking up my phone for a quick check that actually probably isn’t even needed, to the point that Paul has started getting upset about it. I’m going to try it today and see if it makes a difference. x

Reply Candy Pop 13th April 2017 at 9:50 am

Thanks, Lori. Enjoy today, I’m sure you’ll have plenty of Parisian distractions to keep you from your phone! Have a lovely Easter.

• Reply Keri-Anne Pink 13th April 2017 at 9:29 am

I think it is such a good thing to do this every now and again. I take evenings off where i will leave my phone upstairs. I love the thought of ideas blooming because, as you said, you can see what others are doing and feel swayed. I love to leave my phone at home and go for a nice walk sometimes and just think of things i want to do and ideas i have and then write them down when i get back. If i had my phone with me, i would be checking social media etc instead of enjoying my time x

Reply Candy Pop 13th April 2017 at 9:53 am

Thanks, Keri-Anne. This sounds perfect! I love that you go for walks to let your ideas flow, you’ve certainly inspired me! I hope you have a gorgeous Easter weekend.

• Reply Fritha Strickland 13th April 2017 at 3:23 pm

I love this idea but I just don’t think I can do it I feel like there is always something I need to catch up and schedule. In reality of course the world won’t stop turning if I switch off for a couple of days but I need to train my brain to do that! X

Reply Candy Pop 13th April 2017 at 5:21 pm

Thanks, Fritha. I hope you have a lovely Easter weekend. 🙂

• Reply It’s all about you – Make time and space for yourself this Easter the Indie Oxford way – Independent Oxford 13th April 2017 at 5:48 pm

[…] you’re into taking time off-line, check out Candy Pop’s new blog post on The Joy of Spending Time Offline (also see hashtag #enjoytimeoffline for […]

• Reply laurasidestreet 16th April 2017 at 10:38 pm

I think this is so true – you really do feel more recharged and like you have so much more time when you disconnect but gosh it can be really really hard to do especially when your income is connected to being online. Saying that I feel it’s really important to disconnect on a regular basis

Laura x

Reply Candy Pop 20th April 2017 at 10:53 am

Thanks, Laura. I hope you had a wonderful Easter holiday.

• Reply Antler Chandeliers UK 17th April 2017 at 12:10 pm

Hi, Great blog! I was wondering whether it would be of interest to include our antler chandeliers in your blog? We have the largest selection of ethically sourced Antler Chandeliers in the UK so it may be of interest to your visitors. Please let me know and keep up the great work!

Kind Regards,

Jon

Reply Candy Pop 21st April 2017 at 10:15 am

Thank you for stopping by!

• Reply Rebecca 20th April 2017 at 10:30 pm

I agree, I think it is so important for us to take time away from technology. Now a days it consumes our lives so much that we need a break. You have some really good ideas on how to limit your use of technology. I might actually go get an alarm clock now!

Reply Candy Pop 21st April 2017 at 10:16 am

Thanks, Rebecca. It can sometimes feel like an ongoing battle can’t it? I hope you have a great weekend.