Self-Care

6 Inspiring Mindfulness and Meditation Resources

19th July 2017
6 Inspiring Mindfulness and Meditation Resources | candypop.uk.com
MINDFULNESS AND MEDITATION RESOURCES

There’s a lot of information about mindfulness and meditation and for many of us, knowing where to begin can be the biggest obstacle in getting started.

My journey towards a mindful life wasn’t smooth and I reached one or two dead ends along the way. I like things to be presented in a clear and logical way. And I needed evidence to prove that mindfulness and meditation could help me to calm my busy mind.

During 2014 two things happened; I sat next to Mark Williams (the co-founder of mindfulness-based cognitive therapy and co-author of Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world) at a dinner who gave me a beautiful insight into the practice. And I discovered Andy Puddicombe and his easy-to-use Headspace app which helped me to get started.

Today I’m sharing six resources that have helped me on my journey. They’ve kept me focused and enabled me to stay on track, even when life is busy.

6 Inspiring Mindfulness and Meditation Resources | candypop.uk.com

1. The Headspace app

Headspace is a phone app that provides guided meditation sessions and mindfulness training. It is user-friendly and aesthetically pleasing – I love good branding! To begin with, you can complete the ten-day trial and if you find it helpful, you can pay for the app on a monthly, yearly or lifetime basis.

As a foundation course in mindfulness, I found it invaluable. I used the app consistently for two years working through the packs which are broken down into themes. I also enjoyed Andy’s short videos and single sessions – the one on commuting/travel was used a lot!

2. Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world by Mark Williams and Danny Penman

After spending time with Mark Williams, I was eager to read his book. And as one of the premier researchers in the field of mindfulness and the Founding Director of the Oxford Mindfulness Centre, I felt I was in safe hands!

The book takes the reader through a ten-week programme consisting of guided meditations and mindfulness exercises. There were things to try out in daily life like having a greater awareness when carrying out simple everyday tasks and being a little more spontaneous. Mark has a kind and calm quality and his compassion for people seeps into his writing and meditations. It was a wonderful programme to follow and it helped me to understand my own mind and the practice a little more deeply.

3. Breathe magazine

Breathe magazine covers mindfulness, creativity and wellbeing and although I’m a little biased – I’ve written ten articles for the first seven issues – I can promise you it’s a lovely read! There are no adverts just pages and pages of inspiring texts and beautiful illustrations, all leaning towards a calmer and more mindful life. A cuppa and a copy of Breathe is a Sunday afternoon treat!

6 Inspiring Mindfulness and Meditation Resources | candypop.uk.com

4. The Insight Timer app

Insight Timer is the most popular free meditation app. There are numerous ways you can use it and to be honest, I think I would have found it a little overwhelming had I not learnt the basics from Headspace.

There are over 5,000 guided meditations, music tracks, talks and courses. There’s something for everyone and I even discovered a breathing exercise to a Moby track. It’s currently my favourite app and I use either the timer or the guided meditations.

5. The Mindful Living Show

Last month I attended the first Mindful Living Show at the Business Design Centre in London. The two-day conference is ‘the place to learn more about the art of mindfulness and meditation and the different ways in which it can benefit your life.’

With so many speakers and sessions, I found the day useful and insightful. I especially enjoyed the keynote speakers – Ruby Wax and Dan Harris. It was lovely to chat to so many people and it was reassuring to hear I’m not alone in my struggles. After all, the mind can be a tricky customer! The next Mindful Living Show will take place on 1st and 2nd June 2018 – maybe I’ll see you there!

6 Inspiring Mindfulness and Meditation Resources | candypop.uk.com

6. Further books, e-courses etc.

Over the years, I’ve found lots of information in books, blogs, podcasts and e-courses.

If you’re looking for e-courses to get you started, there are a number by Gabrielle Treanor including Bloom her free 7-day taster course. Gabrielle creates beautiful courses on how to worry less and enjoy life more. Or Turning Uncertainty and Discomfort into Open Mindfulness by Leo Babauta. Leo is the writer of one of my favourite blogs Zen Habits, which covers mindfulness and meditation along with ways to cut down on procrastination and form healthy habits. There are also many guided meditations to be found on YouTube.

A few books…

~ Calm: 50 Mindfulness and Relaxation Exercises to De-Stress and Unwind. A sweet little book combining relaxation and mindfulness techniques with beautiful imagery.
~ Oprah Winfrey’s favourite, The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. A little heavy in places but it was an interesting and thought-provoking read.
~ 10% Happier by Dan Harris. A humorous and inquisitive look at meditation which concludes with a section on how to get started. On a side note, there’s a great interview with Dan Harris on The Lively Show.
~ I also enjoyed At Home in the World by Thich Nhat Hanh. A thought provoking and inspiring collection of autobiographical stories from the Zen master and peace activist. Thich Nhat Hanh has published more than 100 books so there are plenty more to choose from.
~ And I’ve just started A Mindfulness Guide for the Frazzled by Ruby Wax. So far so good!

You’ll also find blog posts about mindful living here on Candy Pop as I share my journey and the things I learn along the way.

~ How to be present and live in the moment
~ Five everyday rituals for a calm and mindful day
~ How to be mindful in everyday life
~ Six things I gained from a year of mindfulness and meditation

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a beautiful day!

6 Inspiring Mindfulness and Meditation Resources | candypop.uk.com

Follow on Bloglovin’ | Join the mailing list | Pin this post on Pinterest:

6 Inspiring Mindfulness and Meditation Resources | candypop.uk.com

• Reply Gem 19th July 2017 at 8:44 am

Thank-you for sharing! I’d wholeheartedly recommend the Buddify 2 app. I use it daily and I love the mixture of narrators and guided meditations for different scenarios.

Reply Candy Pop 19th July 2017 at 8:49 am

Thank you so much for your recommendation, I will give it a try! I hope you have a lovely day.

• Reply Sue 19th July 2017 at 9:44 am

This is incredibly useful, I’m going to download that app now and check out the book from the chap you met. Thanks lovely- I feel calmer just reading your posts x

Reply Candy Pop 19th July 2017 at 9:53 am

Thanks so much, Sue. I’m pleased you found the post helpful. I hope you have a gorgeous day!

• Reply Adorngirl 19th July 2017 at 10:26 am

Brilliant! Thank you, looks like a lot of great resources.

Reply Candy Pop 19th July 2017 at 10:40 am

You’re welcome! Thanks for stopping by.

• Reply fashionforlunch 19th July 2017 at 10:38 am

This is jammed packed full of resources and it’s amazing how you have changed your life in the last year!!! So proud of you Natasha!

Reply Candy Pop 19th July 2017 at 10:41 am

Bless you, Kirsty! That’s really kind of you. I hope you have a beautiful day.

• Reply Mal 19th July 2017 at 1:08 pm

Thanks so much for this great list, I’ve never heard of any of those! Xx

Reply Candy Pop 19th July 2017 at 9:14 pm

You’re welcome! Thanks for stopping by.

• Reply freshdesignblog 19th July 2017 at 4:12 pm

How exciting that you met Mark Williams, his book is great! Your post is a useful reminder that I really must get a copy of Breathe, it sounds fantastic.

Reply Candy Pop 19th July 2017 at 9:24 pm

I met him a few times in my previous job, he’s such an inspiration. I hope you’re having a great week!

• Reply Kimberly Duran 19th July 2017 at 4:50 pm

My brother is always banging on to me about meditation to calm my brain (I have trouble sleeping and can never seem to relax, feeling guilty that I should always be doing SOMETHING) so I might just have to download the Headspace app. It sounds like the perfect start for a total beginner like me. Thanks so much for all the resources – this is such a thorough post! xx

Reply Candy Pop 19th July 2017 at 9:28 pm

Thanks, Kimberly. Failing to switch off and relax is why I began meditating. It has honestly changed my life! I’d love to know how you get on with it. 🙂

• Reply kate 19th July 2017 at 5:49 pm

This is such a useful resource Natasha, thanks for sharing! I’d just downloaded the Headspace app after being recommended it a few times and will def check out Breathe magazine now – it looks lovely! x

Reply Candy Pop 19th July 2017 at 9:30 pm

Thanks so much, Kate. I hope you enjoy using Headspace.

• Reply Steph 19th July 2017 at 5:54 pm

Great ideas, I tried the Headspace app at bedtime and found it really did help

Reply Candy Pop 19th July 2017 at 9:32 pm

Thanks so much. Headspace is certainly a useful little app!

• Reply Rachel @ The Ordinary Lovely 19th July 2017 at 7:56 pm

This is such a timely post for me to read. I feel like my head is crammed. There’s simply no space for anything else. Even writing everything down isn’t helping at the moment. I am full of thoughts! I will start with the Headspace App.

Reply Candy Pop 19th July 2017 at 9:36 pm

I’m pleased you found the post useful. I hope Headspace helps and things start to calm down.

• Reply Ania 20th July 2017 at 9:59 am

Thanks for a great list – funny enough, I have read all of those books and thought they were excellent and definitely worth recommending. From the app side of things I started with Calm, but would love to try headspace. Thank you for all your recommendations! 🙂
    That Mindful Living Show looks so good! Shame I missed it this year, but I will definitely go in 2018!. 🙂

Reply Candy Pop 20th July 2017 at 10:09 am

Thanks so much for stopping by. They’re great books aren’t they? I hope you have a lovely day and maybe I’ll see you at the Mindful Living Show next year! 🙂

• Reply Stacey Sheppard 20th July 2017 at 1:33 pm

I’d love to be more mindful, my life just seems so hectic all the time. I think I’ve forgotten how to relax and I’ve certainly forgot how to take ‘me time’. I like the sound of Breathe Magazine, must check that out! Thank you!

Reply Candy Pop 24th July 2017 at 10:06 am

Thank you, Stacey. I hope you enjoy Breathe magazine. Have a great week!

• Reply Sheila 20th July 2017 at 10:50 pm

These pictures are absolutely stunning! Loved reading this article. Thanks for the share, love checking out your blog.

Reply Candy Pop 24th July 2017 at 10:06 am

Thanks so much for your kind comment. I hope you have a lovely day!

• Reply kathryn 21st July 2017 at 10:16 am

I loved reading about your mindfulness journey and can’t believe it started back in 2014. Where does the time go?

Reply Candy Pop 24th July 2017 at 10:07 am

Thank you and I’ve no idea! I hope you have a gorgeous week.

• Reply Juan Sandiego 22nd July 2017 at 3:09 pm

I’m definitely going to check the Insight Timer app. I’ve used another one called Calm in the past, which is very similar to Headspace. A life safer when I used to commute!

Reply Candy Pop 24th July 2017 at 10:09 am

So true – calming apps are amazing for coping with stressful commuting and travel! Thanks for stopping by, I hope you have a great week.

• Reply Jen Stanbrook 25th July 2017 at 2:55 pm

Love these tips and ideas Natasha, you always remind me to slow up and live in the moment 😉

Reply Candy Pop 26th July 2017 at 7:05 pm

Thanks so much, Jen!

• Reply Living WellBee 30th July 2017 at 3:06 pm

Thank you, Natasha, I love these recommendations. I already use the headspace app, and I find it super helpful, I need to try the other tips.

Reply Candy Pop 31st July 2017 at 11:54 am

Thanks so much for stopping by, I’m pleased you found the post helpful. Have a great week!