Eight Ways to Ease the January Blues

12th January 2016

8 Ways to Ease the January Blues |

With the post-Christmas comedown, gloomy days and the back to work blues, January can be a tough month to navigate. I opt out of making any new year’s resolutions because I find the new year is one of the hardest times to implement change. My only objective is to warmly welcome the month, take extra care of myself and generally go with the flow. So, today I’m sharing eight things I do to ease the January blues.

I go out of my way to be kind to myself in January, this includes doing all the things I love and keeping up with my daily gratitude and meditation practices. I also like to remind myself that the days are getting longer and the snowdrops, crocuses and daffodils are on their way.

I always catch up with as many friends as I can and it’s a gorgeous way to spend the darker days and evenings. So far I’ve had brunch, been on a photowalk and enjoyed a lot of tea and cake. Dates with friends are good for the soul and it’s great to have a diary full of joyful plans.

I love having a January declutter because despite trying to live simply, I always find my stuff builds up – seriously, where does it come from? I find it uplifting to let go of the unused and unloved items, especially when they’re donated to charity.

During the winter months it’s good to get as much daylight and fresh air as possible, I like to walk each morning and on sunny days I wrap up warm and pretend it’s summer! I also plan dates with my family and friends that involve being outdoors to take advantage of the limited daylight hours.

8 Ways to Ease the January Blues |

After the indulgence of Christmas, I try to eat a little healthier, after all, a good diet seems to boost my energy levels. I stick to a balanced diet with plenty of fruit and vegetables and I reduce my intake of caffeine, sugar and alcohol. For me, an ‘everything in moderation’ approach works best because I’ve learnt that if I cut something out I tend to crave it more!

Exercise is wonderful for the body and mind and so during January, I try to walk, swim or workout every day. Little and often is my strategy and when I’m not feeling particularly motivated, I focus on how great I’ll feel when it’s done. I also enjoy a regular sleep pattern and on the colder evenings, I unwind in a lavender bubble bath.

At this time of year, I make even more of an effort to put my phone down and switch off with a book or film. I also use January to take a step back to plan my year with playful days to dream, explore, create and have fun.

As a minimalist, I buy very little however I do allow myself a few treats to brighten up my home. I also like to restyle my apartment because a mini refresh makes me feel like spring is just around the corner!

Thank you so much for stopping by, I hope January is being kind.

8 Ways to Ease the January Blues |
8 Ways to Ease the January Blues |

Follow on Bloglovin’ | Sign up to the mailing list

• Reply Eva 12th January 2016 at 8:24 am

You are right, January is not a easy month. What I do to escape is try to do more exercise and sleep in the weekend the most I can. Fortunately I live very near from the ocean and I like to go and see the big waves. I’ll try to capture the little winter light as much as possible. And like you, love meet my friends for a nice capuccino. xx

Reply Candy Pop 12th January 2016 at 9:06 am

Thank you Eva, that sounds wonderful! x

• Reply Sue 12th January 2016 at 1:32 pm

I love to restyle too when the decs come down… Also a haircut always makes me feel better this time of year x

Reply Candy Pop 12th January 2016 at 2:04 pm

Oooh, I’d love a January haircut! x

• Reply Slummy single mummy 12th January 2016 at 4:34 pm

I’ve been feeling pretty grim this week, and always find a change of scene works well for me. Yesterday I went to Glastonbury and did a sort of on/off work/potter thing, mooching between cafes and pretty shops. I bought some pretty things for my wedding, ate a wholesome lunch and walked about a lot. That worked well. It is tough though, and I don’t think we cut ourselves enough slack most of the time.

Reply Candy Pop 13th January 2016 at 11:27 am

That sounds like the perfect day. I’d love to visit Glastonbury, maybe I should join you next time! x

• Reply Laura 12th January 2016 at 8:09 pm

Really good ideas, that a lot of us could do with as we get back into the daily grind after Christmas. My aim is not to overload the new years resolutions… My dry January has taken second place to my other resolutions!

Reply Candy Pop 13th January 2016 at 11:28 am

Thanks Laura, not too many new year’s resolutions sounds like a wise idea. x

• Reply laurasidestreet 12th January 2016 at 11:19 pm

I totally agree with all of these things – this January I am trying to take things a lot slower, be kinder and eat better food. I also need to work on getting more sleep and fresh air – I know how beneficial these are to a person. Hoping you have a fantastic 2016

Laura x

Reply Candy Pop 13th January 2016 at 11:30 am

Thank you, they all sound great. I hope your 2016 is shaping up beautifully! x

• Reply KatGotTheCream (@KatGotTheCream) 13th January 2016 at 6:02 pm

Oh the daffodils and crocuses!!!! I can’t wait to see them again. Actually snowdrops are pretty sweet too and they are around and about now if you look for them too. Great list, getting off the internet is a good one (if a little ironic) 🙂 xx

Reply Candy Pop 13th January 2016 at 7:01 pm

Thanks Kat – how could I forget the pretty snowdrops? Maybe catch up with your favourite blogs and then get off the internet! 😉 x

• Reply Gaia 15th January 2016 at 4:33 pm

Love this! I will share on my fb page, now I know I’m not alone in feeling not motivated in january! :-)))

Reply Candy Pop 15th January 2016 at 4:57 pm