Candy Pop Blog Self-Care Simple Living

The Benefits of Internet-Free Days

26th February 2016

Sponsored post

The Benefits of Internet-Free Days | Photo of a blue sky and a seagull | candypop.uk.com

The joy of missing out

Sharing the benefits of internet-free days may seem a little crazy coming from a blogger, but I really do champion the power of switching off. After all, too much of anything is never a good thing – unless it’s chocolate, and even that’s not advised!

So, after spending a week in Dorset and offline, I thought I’d share four of the positives I’ve found from regularly switching off. I call it, ‘the joy of missing out’ because logging off enables me to slow down and enjoy my life free from distraction.

The benefits of internet-free days..

1. More time

I sometimes grab my phone or tablet to check something, and a few hours later I’m still there – know the feeling? The online world seems to eat away at my time, but by switching off, I can claim it back. I also find I’m less likely to continually check my technology on my return. Internet-free days serve as a reminder that the real world is worth my full attention.

2. More connection

Sometimes I need to disconnect so I can reconnect with the people and the world around me. The internet is a fantastic place to meet like-minded folk, but few things beat spending time with the people who make me happy. When I’m with my family or friends, I put my phone away. After all, nothing in the digital world is more important than the person or people in front of me!

3. More gratitude

There are many benefits to being online, however, too much scrolling certainly has an impact on how I feel. When I edit out the noise and distraction, I’m able to fully relax and recharge. I also find when I stop looking at the lives of others, I have more gratitude for my own life just the way it is. It helps me to reconnect with myself and listen to my own inner voice.

4. More creativity

When I switch off, I notice an increase in creative ideas. It’s like the time and space allow them to come to the surface. I love the phrase, ‘creation over consumption’ because I certainly find my creativity flows more freely when I switch off. When I’m looking for inspiration, I put away my phone!

Further reading

The benefits of taking a week offline
How to set digital boundaries when you’re running a creative business
The joy of spending time offline

4K photography

These images are stills from a 4k film I shot in sunny Bournemouth. You can read more about 4k photography here.

Thank you for stopping by, I hope you have a gorgeous day!

This post is a sponsored collaboration with Panasonic. All views are my own.

• Reply florenceandmary 26th February 2016 at 11:14 am

It’s probably quite rare that I have an internet free day but there are occasions when I’ve been less likely to check emails or refresh instagram and there is something rather freeing about it.

Have a wonderful weekend,

Reply Candy Pop 26th February 2016 at 11:46 am

Thanks Victoria, have a great weekend!

• Reply Old Fashioned Susie (@OldFashionedSus) 26th February 2016 at 1:24 pm

Totally agree about this, you can get SO MUCH done… Although I find its easier if your other half also wants to switch off!

Reply Candy Pop 26th February 2016 at 2:26 pm

Thanks Susie, that’s very true!

• Reply Emmaly Knecht 26th February 2016 at 4:56 pm

I totally agree with this post. Every weekend i take my dog on a 4 mile walk and i don’t look at my phone for the two blissful hours. Having that time gives me the ability to take in live and enjoy the moment. As beneficial as the internet is, its important to have moments without it.

Reply Candy Pop 26th February 2016 at 6:04 pm

That sounds lovely and I think we enjoy the internet more when we have time away. Have a great weekend.

• Reply fritha 28th February 2016 at 10:41 am

I accidentally had three days internet (and phone!) free when we went to festival last year and it was wonderful! Even if I felt tempted to check in I couldn’t and because I didn’t know it would happen it was kind of like ‘oh well! What can I do’ It reminded me I need to switch off and log out from time to time! x

Reply Candy Pop 28th February 2016 at 4:34 pm

That sounds bliss, it was like that for much of my holiday in Cornwall last year. Freedom!

• Reply laurasidestreet 28th February 2016 at 2:34 pm

I do think it’s really important to have internet-free days and I often feel much “lighter” and able to focus on things at hand and far more mindful – I need to make time to do it more often

Laura x

Reply Candy Pop 28th February 2016 at 4:35 pm

Thanks Laura, that’s so true and lighter is a good feeling!

• Reply Slummy single mummy 28th February 2016 at 8:06 pm

It doesn’t seem crazy to me at all to advocate Internet free days as a blogger – I always switch off from work and social media in the evenings and often for whole weekends too. It’s ace!

Reply Candy Pop 28th February 2016 at 8:47 pm

That sounds wonderful.. I should take a leaf out of your book, I only manage it every now and then!

• Reply melwiggins 28th February 2016 at 8:11 pm

A great reminder. I am trying to set boundaries in different ways too – we have a definite no devices at the table rule for all meal times and I would like to get to the point where I leave my phone out of reach for certain periods of the day. I think self-awareness is key – do you feel owned by it? Do you feel like you’re not listening to the people in front of you properly because of it? Then it’s time to cool off. x

Reply Candy Pop 28th February 2016 at 8:50 pm

Thanks Mel. They sound like great boundaries. I often put my iPhone and iPad in the office and close the door. It’s the naughty step for technology!

• Reply Eva 28th February 2016 at 10:02 pm

I totally agree with this post ! The real freedom starts when we are able to SWITCHING OFF for some days ! And we need this freedom sometimes. I’m glad you don’t disconnecting your camera because your pictures are stunning ! x

Reply Candy Pop 29th February 2016 at 11:00 am

Thanks so much Eva, I hope you have a wonderful week.

• Reply Lottie | Oyster & Pearl 29th February 2016 at 2:03 pm

I find it so hard to switch off! But I can see my kids being all obsessed with devices and it really bothers me, so I’m being totally hypocritical. Gonna give it a go though x

Reply Candy Pop 29th February 2016 at 4:46 pm

I never realise how addicted I am until I switch off!

• Reply Alice 29th February 2016 at 2:49 pm

I’m determined to try and switch off more. I spend far too much time online and am often not present when I’m in a room – I’d love to change this! I’ve made steps to switch off in the evenings when I’m at home and enjoy a book or a film but I’d love to be at the point where I’m doing it for whole days.

Reply Candy Pop 29th February 2016 at 4:48 pm

Thanks Alice. It sounds like you’re doing really well, nothing like a book or a film to help switch off and unwind. 🙂

• Reply Polly Davies 3rd March 2016 at 2:51 pm

Yes – I LOVE internet free days. I think esp when you work online, having days completely switched off are an essential to recharge your batteries

Reply Candy Pop 4th March 2016 at 7:10 am

Thanks Polly. They certainly are essential!

• Reply Rose 5th March 2016 at 7:47 am

I definitely need to work more Internet days into my schedule. It’s so hard when you’re self employed – I have massive fear of missing out. Must try harder to put the laptop down and turn the phone off too!

Reply Candy Pop 5th March 2016 at 11:25 am

I know the feeling. It’s hard to switch off when you work freelance but it’s really worth the effort. Have a great day!